AppBuilder perspective use

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 30-Apr-2009 05:13

Hello,

I'm interested if anyone is using the AppBuilder perspective in OEA to modify/add .w files to their projects and what overall experience they have with it.

My own experience is rather limited but I already have had several problems (and error messages -> yes, I'll report them to TechSupport) and therefor don't find it productive enough (yet).

Anybody gone through the same process in adopting to OEA and finding it too hard to move classic UI development away from OpenEdge Studio into OEA?

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 30-Apr-2009 06:13

I believe the hardest bit will be for people using XFTRs in the AppBuilder right now. They are AFAIK not supported in the embedded AppBuilder.

I must say, I use the embedded AppBuilder once in a while. Manly to demo it - not that much in production. But I have not ran into that many issues that would be blocking during the few times that I really used it for real work that way.

The many issue is screen real estate. Even on a desktop with 2 * 24" screens the embedded AppBuilder suffers from missing space on the screen.

So I'm glad, that I have a PSDN license, I can install OEA and OES at the same time, leveraging the color-coded editor in the AppBuilder as well. What I do once in a while is opening .w files in the OEA editor perspective when I just modify source code. I feel comfortable enough with the AppBuilder markup so that I don't ruin the ability  to maintain the design later in the AppBuilder.

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 04-May-2009 01:06

The case I currently experienced was in the event of an error during the initial load of a .w file into the AppBuilder.

So I wrongfully thought the error was strictly related to OEA, but it's more of a combination:

1. Tried to open a .w file that actually generates an error (even in normal prowin32.w -p _ab.p session)

2. Can CTRL-BREAK out of the error message (only way I can escape this error 1386)

3. Now I'm able to open the file in the AppBuilder perspective

4. Start adding a few widgets on the screen

5. Perform a Save (with the button in the AppBuilder)

6. Generates an error message (4GL error message)

7. OEA asks me if I want to synchronize the changes from AppBuilder to Architect Editor -> I confirm

8. I close the file

9. Try to reopen the file

10. Regenerates error message I needed to CTRL-BREAK (same as step 2)

11. Can reopen the file but my changes were not saved

12. I fixed the initial error I needed to CTRL-BREAK, and than AppBuilder behaves normally

I'm willing to believe that it's an AppBuilder problem alltogether I was experiencing.

But I'll keep the Thread open in case I'm facing different issues...

This thread is closed