Connection profile Progress

Posted by christophe.mabileau on 11-May-2009 06:40

I'm trying to create a connection profile to Progress database. If the host is my PC (localhost) it's ok but not on the server.

I have this error message "OE Broker fails to start SQL server".

The database and the broker are running.

Connection profile Progress.JPG

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 11-May-2009 09:26

HI Chris,

Make sure that your database server can handle SQL connections.  I assume that since your database name in the picture is not pointing to localhost, that you are using a database server that might be shared between users.  Talk to the database admin and ask them to ensure that the SQL database server engine is installed/enabled.

Posted by christophe.mabileau on 12-May-2009 09:59

Hi Matthew,

yes, the SQL database server engine is installed and the database server is shared between 10 users. Do I have to configured the MSS Dataserver (broker) or anything like that?

It's a Progress Database and it's started. One of my projects is connected to it.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 12-May-2009 11:12

Have you created a ODBC entry for it?  Something like this http://www.oehive.org/node/1025

Posted by Matt Baker on 12-May-2009 11:16

DB Nav does not require ODBC data sources.  It uses the connection information on the JDBC driver URL to directly connect to the database using host and port.

Check the database .lg file for any error messages.

Posted by Matt Baker on 12-May-2009 11:19

The MS Dataserver is for for working with Microsoft SQL server.  If you are using an OpenEdge database the only thing you need is the JDBC drivers which appear to be installed properly.  What version of database are you trying to connect to?  Check the database .lg file for the database server to find out why the sql server process is not starting.

Posted by christophe.mabileau on 13-May-2009 02:27

The JDBC Drivers are  installed properly. It's a database Progress 10. I checked the .lg file for my database. There are 2 messages :

1. [2009/05/13@09:17:39.273+0200] P-15960      T-10584 I SRV     2: (742)   Connecting 22, identifiant CMabileau on cmabilleau-w-xp (my workstation).

2. [2009/05/13@09:18:11.758+0200] P-6736       T-15408 I BROKER  0: (8840)  Unable to start the SQL server.

Posted by kevin_saunders on 13-May-2009 02:56

Potentially, your broker has run out of resources meaning the DB server startup parameters need to be adjusted (-Mn in particular).

Posted by christophe.mabileau on 13-May-2009 10:08

The value of the paramter -Mn is 4. I think it's good.

Posted by kevin_saunders on 14-May-2009 02:26

christophe.mabileau wrote:

The value of the paramter -Mn is 4. I think it's good.

Which means you can have 4 auto servers.. What is -Mi? If it is 1, then the first 4 people to login to the DB will each get an auto server and the broker will be unable to spawn any new ones, resulting in the message you were getting when attempting to connect via Architect.

Posted by christophe.mabileau on 14-May-2009 02:50

The value of the -Mi parameter is 2. I'm the only one to connect to the database. I put 2 files as attachments. I'm french so there are in french.

Posted by kevin_saunders on 14-May-2009 04:23

Okay. Potentially its a bug. You will need to upgrade to SP3 before contacting TS, though.

Your log says:

Progress OpenEdge Release 10.1B build 1216 sur WINNT

Where post SP3 install it will be:

Progress OpenEdge Release 10.1B build 1372 SP03 on WINNT

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 14-May-2009 07:31

Do you have your database configured using Progress Explorer?

Can you put the print screens of your db-configuration in a post? Or the conmgr.properties file (/properties folder).

What you can do is start a secondary broker on the database using command line (use ProEnv in Program Folder):

proserve -m3 -ServerType SQL -s 12000

and use this port (12000) in your connection profile.

If you get errors using the proserve command, please post them.

Posted by christophe.mabileau on 14-May-2009 08:35

Here attached the conmgr.properties file of the server.

I tried to start a secondary broker using command line wihout error and use the port 12000 in my connection profile but it doesn't work.

I see on the server that OpenEdge Architect is not installed !!!! It could be an explanation?

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 14-May-2009 08:46

Sorry my mistake,

I typed -s, it should be -S 12000, connection parameters are case sensitive.

Can you please add your db log file should it not work?

Is your db on a different machine? No need for OEA to be installed there, but you need Workgroup or Enterprise license to allow remote client connections.

Thx

Posted by christophe.mabileau on 14-May-2009 09:03

I typed -S because I had a error with -s.

I add my db log file. All my db are on another machine (OE Enterprise RDBMS, OE Application Svr Ent, OE Studio and OE DataServer MS SQL Svr).

My database connections (db Oracle or db Progress) are right. My oracle connection profile too (thanks a lot again).

Thx

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 14-May-2009 09:27

Can you stop the database and start it from the command line:

proserve grh -S 10095 -Mpb 4 -Mn 10

Posted by christophe.mabileau on 14-May-2009 09:39

I did. The command line is ok on the server but not on my workstation. I still have the same message "OE Broker fails to start SQL server".

I hope you don't spend your time because of my trouble.

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 14-May-2009 09:48

Add the .db log file one more time, from this last startup.

And perhaps also your connection profile in OEArchitect.

There must be a reasonable explanation for it.

Posted by christophe.mabileau on 14-May-2009 09:55

I add the db .lg file and a print screen of my connection profile.

Thx

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 14-May-2009 11:10

I don't recall that anywhere in here you have tried connecting with something other than Architect.  I would create the ODBC entry per the link I supplied and use one ot the many freebie SQL clients and try connecting with that.  If you can't, it will clearly tell you the problem has nothing to do with Architect and that possibly your should reopen the discussion on the RDBMS board.  If you can connect with the SQL client, it will make it real clear that the issue actually is Architect, but you might find out something in the process which will give you or us further hints.  My guess is that this is not really an Architect issue, but one never knows.

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 14-May-2009 14:45

Perhaps the KB entry P125201 can share some light on the matter.

But Thomas' suggestion sounds wise.

David

Posted by christophe.mabileau on 19-May-2009 07:19

Hi Thomas,

where could I find some documentations to create the ODBC entry and use one ot the many freebie SQL clients?

Thx

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 19-May-2009 13:36

Creating one version of the ODBC entry is covered in that link I gave you back toward the start of this discussion ... not useful then, since it wasn't used by OEA, but useful now for testing.  There are a zillion free SQL clients ... I don't have any particular recommendations at this point, but maybe someone will chime in.

This thread is closed