Guess that this is bad ...

Posted by jmls on 19-May-2009 13:54

trying to load a .cls into visual designer, get this message

System.InvalidProgramExceptionL Common Language runtime detected and invalid program

Heh.

what is it, and what do I do ??

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 19-May-2009 13:58

I assume you restarted the AVM and OEA? Maybe even your PC? Removed the R-Code?

Sounds like a serious issue. MSDN does not help too much: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241896.aspx

Posted by jmls on 19-May-2009 14:16

crap. It's got worse. Can't start the jvm now.

looks like subversion is now crashing on me

AAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH. I *hate* vista

Posted by Admin on 19-May-2009 14:21

Autsch!

Did you install any plugin recently or perform an automated update of Eclipse?

I wouldn't always blame everything on Vista ;-)

Posted by jmls on 19-May-2009 14:27

Yeah, just did an update in eclipse. Yuk.

I still *hate* vista

Any clues on how to recover OEA when it won't even start ?

Posted by Peter Judge on 19-May-2009 14:30

Any clues on how to recover OEA when it won't even start ?

Try starting 'clean' (-clean on the CLI or from the menu).

-- peter

Posted by Admin on 19-May-2009 14:33

Someone (I though that might have been you - but I may be wrong) ran into that issue shortly after the beta.

If I remember reinstalling was the only option. You may try to run start Eclipse with the -clean switch.

Posted by jmls on 19-May-2009 15:31

that was the first thing I tried. I already had it in there as a default

Posted by jmls on 19-May-2009 15:43

interesting -> just renamed the oeide directory to oeide,broken, and copied the oeide directory from my laptop.

It all works again ! And no more systemexception ...

Happy times !

Posted by Admin on 19-May-2009 15:48

Comes close to reinstalling. I wonder if there would be another choice to recover Eclipse.

The recommendation from that beta or shortly after beta thread was not to use the auto update function at all. It must have been in the beta forum, since I could not find that thread anymore.

Posted by Matt Baker on 19-May-2009 20:11

The recommendation of not updating was/is due to a few reasons.  Eclipse rewrites the eclipse.ini file in the configuration directory and usually gets it wrong in 3.4.0.  The result is that your install may or may not start and you will lose branding.   The splash screen, welcome screen, icons, help about, and some other stuff gets reset back to the platform defaults.

Using -clean on Eclipse 3.4.0 does very little and will almost never fix a broken installation.  Running with -clean is normally a bad idea since it adds extra overhead as it rescans the plugin directories on each startup.  The normal fix is, I hate to say it, uninstall and reinstall OEA.  This will reinstall the base configuration installation and Eclipse will rebuild itself from scratch.

If you want to use a different version of Eclipse, there are instructions in the knowledge base on how to use the OEA plugins with a separate Eclipse install.

Posted by jmls on 20-May-2009 01:09

yeah, my bad. I had forgotten about that. Perhaps you could add a dialog to ask numpties to confirm they want to break their system .. ?

On another issue - I cannot add a user control to my palette. It allows me to add the control, but it never shows on the palette. Any ideas ?

Posted by jmls on 20-May-2009 01:25

mikefe wrote:

Comes close to reinstalling. I wonder if there would be another choice to recover Eclipse.

The recommendation from that beta or shortly after beta thread was not to use the auto update function at all. It must have been in the beta forum, since I could not find that thread anymore.

Yeah, come close. With the exception of not having to uninstall and reinstall OE as well

Posted by Admin on 20-May-2009 02:41

yeah, my bad. I had forgotten about that. Perhaps you could add a dialog to ask numpties to confirm they want to break their system .. ?

According to your initial post I had the feeling, that you knew you broke your system already when you installed Vista ... Could you translate "numpties" to something I learned in school?

Posted by jmls on 20-May-2009 03:52

mikefe wrote:

According to your initial post I had the feeling, that you knew you broke your system already when you installed Vista ... Could you translate "numpties" to something I learned in school?

Yup

Numpty:

Someone who (sometimes unwittingly) by speech or action demonstrates a lack of knowledge or misconception of a particular subject or situation to the amusement of others.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=numpty

This thread is closed