Planned updates to Architect?

Posted by ojfoggin on 18-May-2009 03:21

Hi,

Does anyone know of a development log or anything where we can see planned updates/schedules for OE Architect?

I started testing Architect before SP1 with a view to getting our dev team using it but it was very buggy and now, even with SP1 it still feels like beta software.

It regularly crashes when entering AppBuilder Perspective, I just had it crash for no appraent reason, it's very slow when doing things like pressing SHIFT - TAB to unindent a line (it will take upwards of 10 seconds).

I'm kind of disappointed by this as 10.1B is so painfully awkard to use that I really don't want to have to go back.

If there are any notes about things to come it would be nice to see them.

Thanks

Oliver

All Replies

Posted by jmls on 18-May-2009 04:14

I can honestly say that since 10.2A came out (esp after SP1) I have not had any problems with OEA, especially of the sort you are mentioning.

What are your hardware specs ? Have you changed any of the startup parameters on the shortcut ? Do you get these problems with all prcoedures that you edit, or only some ?

Posted by ojfoggin on 18-May-2009 04:36

Hmm...

I hope there is something I can change to get this to work as it's so much nicer than 10.1B.

Hardware specs... P4 3.2GHz cpu

1GB RAM
Windows XP SP3

50+GB Free space on the local HDD

The files are all stored on a server to which I have a 1Gb/s connection.

We use VSS for version control which stores all the files in one folder.  I then check the files I wish to edit out into the equivalent folder on my mirrored drive.  i.e. my folder structure is almost empty and any files in my structure come first in the propath and then it goes to the VSS copy.  (if that makes sense)

I haven't changed any start up parameters.  I have had to use the tutorial to set it up so I don't really have much information about set up etc...

The main problems I have are:

1. AppBuilder Perspective takes over a minute to open and will sometimes just hang OEA and I will have to restart.
  2. When opening .w files (after AppBuilder is already open) OEA will sometimes hang so I have to restart.
  3. In the editor some things take an age to happen (typing " will hang the editor for 10-15 seconds, shift-tab will hang the editor, abbreviated table names (only used because they have been that way for 15 years) are not recognised as table names by the editor, etc...)
  4. Before SP1 (I haven't seen this yet since SP1) some files (over 15k lines and then had include files)  would take about an hour and a half to open and parse for the outline view but then the outline view wouldn't be complete.
  5. Suddenly since SP1 I can't connect to the SQL server on our database.  Could before but now it doesn't work. "Error: OE Broker fails to find a server available for connecting."  Nothing has changed apart from updating to SP1.

If there is something I can do to get rid of these little bugs then it would be possible to suggest moving to OEA for development.

There are however a few other little niggles like auto indent not working properly when putting in DO - END. etc... but these are not necessarily things that are essential.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Oliver

Posted by ojfoggin on 18-May-2009 04:45

I just minimised OEA and now I can't restore it my only option when I right click is to close it.

When I close it I get an error:

"More than one _U records found by a unique FIND. (3166)"

and that pops up twice.

then another error:

"Incomplete write when writing to the server"

This was the crash for no apparent reson I mentioned in my first post.

Posted by jmls on 18-May-2009 04:47

ojfoggin wrote:

Hmm...

I hope there is something I can change to get this to work as it's so much nicer than 10.1B.

Hardware specs... P4 3.2GHz cpu

1GB RAM
Windows XP SP3

50+GB Free space on the local HDD

The files are all stored on a server to which I have a 1Gb/s connection.

We use VSS for version control which stores all the files in one folder.  I then check the files I wish to edit out into the equivalent folder on my mirrored drive.  i.e. my folder structure is almost empty and any files in my structure come first in the propath and then it goes to the VSS copy.  (if that makes sense)

I haven't changed any start up parameters.  I have had to use the tutorial to set it up so I don't really have much information about set up etc...

The main problems I have are:

1. AppBuilder Perspective takes over a minute to open and will sometimes just hang OEA and I will have to restart.
  2. When opening .w files (after AppBuilder is already open) OEA will sometimes hang so I have to restart.
  3. In the editor some things take an age to happen (typing " will hang the editor for 10-15 seconds, shift-tab will hang the editor, abbreviated table names (only used because they have been that way for 15 years) are not recognised as table names by the editor, etc...)
  4. Before SP1 (I haven't seen this yet since SP1) some files (over 15k lines and then had include files)  would take about an hour and a half to open and parse for the outline view but then the outline view wouldn't be complete.
  5. Suddenly since SP1 I can't connect to the SQL server on our database.  Could before but now it doesn't work. "Error: OE Broker fails to find a server available for connecting."  Nothing has changed apart from updating to SP1.

If there is something I can do to get rid of these little bugs then it would be possible to suggest moving to OEA for development.

There are however a few other little niggles like auto indent not working properly when putting in DO - END. etc... but these are not necessarily things that are essential.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Oliver

HW specs seem ok. A little light on the ram (I'd bump it up to 4gb - cost you around £20 !)

As an experiment to remove any potential server problems, have you tried copying all of the files and the db onto your local drive (ie, you do not need any network connection) ? I develop with remote servers, and networked files (I use subversion / subclipse though).

1. The Appbuilder perspective takes less than 5 seconds to open on my machine (2.6 Ghz, 4gb ram), even with the biggest .w (6000+ lines)

2. I don't see this

3. I have only seen this with an old eclipse

4. Yes, that was a bug that was fixed

5. Hmm, don't have that issue

It really smells to me that there is a problem with the database connection. What are the options / parameters ?

Posted by jmls on 18-May-2009 04:51

ojfoggin wrote:

I just minimised OEA and now I can't restore it my only option when I right click is to close it.

When I close it I get an error:

"More than one _U records found by a unique FIND. (3166)"

and that pops up twice.

then another error:

"Incomplete write when writing to the server"

This was the crash for no apparent reson I mentioned in my first post.

Man you seem to be in a world of pain

Do you have any special additions / customisations to appbuilder ?

"Incomplete write when writing to the server" is definately a sign that there is a problem with the connection to the db, either network or something. What version of progress is the db ?

Posted by ojfoggin on 18-May-2009 04:58

Hi,

Thanks again for the help.

The options in the database connection just uses the Host name, Service name and Logical name.  There are no other parameters used.

We have the database server type parameter set to "Both" for the SQL connection.

In the SQL connection properties I have the Driver as the Progress OpenEdge JDBC Driver (DataDirect) and the same host name, service name, database name but it always comes up with that error.

Thanks

Oliver

Posted by jmls on 18-May-2009 05:06

I am really leaning towards the  problem with the SQL connection causing all of this grief.

OEA needs sql access in order to retrieve all of the table names, schema data etc etc.

Have you got a firewall running ? Have you check the min/max ports ? Check the security of the sql user - does it have enough permission to do what is needed ?

Have a look at P116958 - and related info.

Once you get the SQL side fixed, I think most of yor problems may go away

Posted by ojfoggin on 18-May-2009 05:07

I may try completely uninstalling and removing any trace of Open Edge from my PC and then reinstalling it.

The db version is ... erm ... not too sure how to check that one.

I think 10.1B but I'm not 100% sure.

I'll try the SQL stuff first though.

Thanks again

P.S. what is P116958 and how do I find it?

Thanks

Posted by jmls on 18-May-2009 05:14

don't uninstall until you have to . I am sure it's the sql side that is a problem.

ojfoggin wrote:

I may try completely uninstalling and removing any trace of Open Edge from my PC and then reinstalling it.

The db version is ... erm ... not too sure how to check that one.

I think 10.1B but I'm not 100% sure.

I'll try the SQL stuff first though.

Thanks again

P.S. what is P116958 and how do I find it?

Thanks

P116958 is a KB entry. Go to http://progress.atgnow.com/esprogress/categoryBrowse.do and enter P116958 in the "find solution by ID"

In some other KB entries they talk about the -n option. Make sure that on the db, -n is > -Ma * -Mn. If you change these values you will have to restart the db. Also check the password for the sql user is what you think it is

Yet some other entries talk about the firewall

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 18-May-2009 05:31

One of the guys at TechSupport told me last week that there will definitely be an SP by the end of the year.

10.2B is for next year.

I can only say from my own experience:

Take the minor points of 10.2 (after you get rid of your current issues) and continue using it; only by using it you'll be able to report problems to TechSupport.

They really work hard in making the product better.

And although it still seems a long way from being productive enough for existing ancient "4GL included preprocessor style" .w and .p files, a lot of features are extremely handy.

2 things on GUI:

- I'm convinced OEA was never intended to do Win95 GUI, so I'm glad that it's possible

- I recently opened a thread on my dislikes for the AppBuilder perspective, but as I continue working with it, I'm starting to become more comfortable with it

Now for the problems you have:

- I have experienced some problems with the latency of our network and because of the constant writing to files by Eclipse, I can advise you to put your workspace on a local drive; this doesn't mean you have to put your projects local, they can still be on a server, but the workspace folder contains all the info for building and working in the perspectives of Eclipse, so this can be a potential bottleneck.

- SHIFT-TAB is actually slow in all Eclipse editors, if your source code contains a lot of lines it becomes slower

- what crashes? Eclipse or your ABL sessions within Architect?

David

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 18-May-2009 06:20

What you can try is to open the .w file within a standalone AppBuilder session, with the same db connections and the same propath as in OEA.

The kind of message you get is typically a problem with AppBuilder generated files that are modified using something different than AppBuilder.

I recently had a case where I wrongfully pinpointed to OEA as in fact it was .w file itself that was causing problems.

Posted by ojfoggin on 18-May-2009 07:57

Thanks for all the help guys.

I think I'm going to be giving up on OEA and going back to 10.1B.

It has crashed around 10 times today for different reasons.

If Progress would like to send someone over to make sure everything is set up correctly so that I can test it then that would be good. Otherwise I'm not going to waste time changing one setting to see if that works until it breaks again and then changing another setting and so on...

I've lost work too many times now to be bothered.  I have used beta software in the past that is more stable and quicker than OEA and OEA has had a service pack update?!

Thanks again

Oliver

Posted by jmls on 18-May-2009 08:03

Whilst I understand your frustration, I would not go down that road. There is obviously something wrong with the setup - how would you know what it is unless you solve it. There may come a time where things are critical and you need to solve the issue.

There is something wrong with the sql setup, I'm sure. Could you post the config (properties) file from your db server ?

Posted by Peter Judge on 18-May-2009 08:04

I am really leaning towards the  problem with the SQL connection causing all of this grief.

OEA needs sql access in order to retrieve all of the table names, schema data etc etc

I believe the SQL connection is required if you want to use DB Navigator. You can use a direct connection (ie -db) and OEA will retrieve the table and field names just fine.

-- peter

Posted by egarcia on 18-May-2009 09:13

Hello Oliver,

I think there may be some suggestions that could help in this issue, however, more information would be needed to know what is happening internally.

I am guessing that the Architect session (javaw.exe process) is busy for a long time and then when closing it, it would disconnect the AppBuilder causing the error "Incomplete write when writing to the server".

A way to know what the Java process is doing is by enabling jmxremote and then using JConsole to inspect the threads. (Add -vmargs -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Xmx256m to the command line of Architect, then attach with $DLC/jdk/bin/jconsole.exe.)

When the issue happens, what is the CPU activity of javaw.exe and prowin32.exe?

Is there file system activity?  (The FileMon utility from Windows Sysinternals can provide this information.)

Do you have ABL classes?

Are you using r-code? (There is an issue where under some circumstances, the generation of the class information could cause a scan of the file system.)

When does the problem with the AppBuilder perspective happen?

When switching to the AppBuilder perspective, when opening AppBuilder by clicking on the AppBuilder button in the toolbar, or when opening a .w file from the Resources view?

An issue that could happen is if a message box is displayed when opening the .w file, then the message may appear behind the Architect window and it would appear as hung.

Switching off the option "Run AppBuilder docked" may help in these cases (the AppBuilder window will open as a separate). (Project->Properties->OpenEdge->AppBuilder)

Do you see a difference in behavior when switching off this option?

I hope this suggestions help to determine what the problem is. This issue needs to be reported to Technical Support.

Posted by ojfoggin on 18-May-2009 09:21

Thank you egarcia,

I will follow your suggestions tomorrow and update you all as to the results.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I will try all of them (just not today )

Thanks

Oliver

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 18-May-2009 11:39

You should also be looking in the Eclipse log for error messages and I would guess you might need to give Eclipse more memory to work in.  With really large files like that, you may simply be running out of memory for the Java process.

Posted by Admin on 19-May-2009 13:23

I usually launch OpenEdge Architect with the following startup parameters (in 10.2A):

C:\Progress\OpenEdge102A\oeide\eclipse\eclipse.exe -showlocation -vm "C:\Progress\OpenEdge102A\jre\bin\javaw.exe" -vmargs -Xmx1024M

Actually the

-vmargs Xmx1024M

adds Memory to Ecplise. The list of runtime parameters can be found here:

http://help.eclipse.org/help32/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/runtime-options.html

Posted by ojfoggin on 21-May-2009 11:05

Hi,

I have checked the start up pf file and it contains this...

-db /data/dev/hire/vp/hire
-L 25000
-B 10000
-n 45
-S devhirevp
-spin 5000
-bibufs 200
-ServerType Both

i.e. it doesn't have -Mn -Mpb or -Ma.

Is there any way to find what the values are for these?

That way I can check that -n > -Ma * -Mn

If it isn't then I can change it.

Thanks again!

Oliver

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 21-May-2009 11:22

Any parameter not mentioned will be at its default, which is given in the manual.  If you check the database log at startup time, you might see it there too.

You might want to consider forking off a new thread on the RDBMS forum to ask about SQL access unless you can use an ODBC connection and freebie SQL client to verify that the SQL part is already working.  You might also test with SQL Explorer on the box where the database is.

Posted by Peter Mellow on 21-May-2009 11:42

Who ever told you that 10.2B was planned for next year was mistaken. The plan is for it to be out before the end of this year.

Peter

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 22-May-2009 13:17

Well, that's even better news I would say.

Instead of an SP we'll be upgrading end of the year.

So my sources are less trustworthy than I suspected...

This thread is closed