javaw.exe taking up 50% CPU and 500MB of RAM

Posted by ojfoggin on 10-Jun-2009 02:55

... aaaaand just got an Eclipse out of memory error.

Is this some sort of elaborate hoax?  Surely Architect can't be out of BETA testing yet.  It's less stable than Windows ME!

How is this an improvement over 10.1B?  It may have pretty colours but if I can't run it for more than an hour at a time (although I've only been using it 15 mins this morning) then how is it an improvement?

The file I was editing was a 282kb .w file.  I didn't have the app builder perspective open as I was only changing the background code.

This started happening last night with the same file and it got to the point where I had to power down the pC and lose my work as I couldn't even move the mouse.

I haven't changed any start up parameters in the past 2 weeks.

I haven't changed the propath, workspace, or anything recently.

Why can't I just use Eclipse and have an add on to allow for Progress compiling?  I have added many different add ons to Eclipse and they all work.  So why do I have to download a whole separate version of it for Architect?

All Replies

Posted by Sunil Belgaonkar on 10-Jun-2009 13:07

Hi Oliver

Based on the TS call that you logged today, I gather you are using OpenEdge Architect 10.2a. Let me know otherwise.

Are you able to reproduce the bug where javaw.exe takes 50% CPU and 500MB of RAM?  Would it be possible for you to send along the file to TS so we can try to reproduce and debug this internally? Thanks.

Sunil.

Posted by ojfoggin on 11-Jun-2009 09:11

Hi Sunil,

Thanks for the reply.

I am curtrently running 10.2A SP1.  I have had a response from Rob Debbage in TS and have sent him a document outlining the problems and how to recreate them.  At the moment though I am unable to do any work as Architect crashes after about 5 minutes and gets to the point that I have to shutdown the javaw.exe process and bomb out of Architect losing my work with it.

Is there any chance of getting an update on the call as I am close to uninstalling and rolling back to studio 10.1B so that I can carry on working.

Thanks again

Oliver

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 11-Jun-2009 10:51

If you are willing to uninstall, you might consider just reinstalling 10.2A01 as a first test.  There seem to be various Eclipse issues which happen for some reason which is not well understood, but one of reinstalling, starting with -clean, or moving to a fresh workspace will make the problem go away.

Posted by ojfoggin on 11-Jun-2009 10:55

Hi,

I originally did have 10.2A installed but there were problems just opening files with that so I tried SP1 instead.

Is there any way of removing all project data (not the actual files) from a workspace?  I have tried a few different ones following tips from the forums but I'm not sure how to empty these out safely?

Thanks

Oliver

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 11-Jun-2009 11:28

The easiest thing is just to start with a fresh workspace and add things to it.  If it doesn't help, then quit, but if it does help, then continue until you have either gotten everything moved or recreated the problem.  There are various files in the workspace directory which one could try renaming, but I don't know which since I find the fresh sandbox a more certain approach.

You have looked in the Eclipse logs for error messages?

This thread is closed