-assemblies not working

Posted by jmls on 09-Sep-2009 01:33

Trying to move the IG .dlls  into their own directory to ease the deployment. So I created a new folder called controls, copied the IG controls into it and copied my existing assemblies.xml file into it. I then changed the properties of the project, adding -assemblies to the startup options.

Project starts ok - but there is no "referenced assemblies" option in the resources tab, and I can't load any forms into the Visual Designer because it can't find the type information of the controls.

What have I done wrong ? What have I missed ?

Julian

All Replies

Posted by jquerijero on 28-Sep-2009 17:23

Something is a miss with the documentation of the -assemblies parameter. By the sound of the documentation, you just have to specify a folder that can be found and where the assemblies.xml is located.

OE Architect - Design-Time:

- The folder you specified as the value for the parameter has to be part of the project. This is acceptable, just annoying because of it's a redandunt process. Maybe they should automatically add the folder to the project if it is really needed. Same thing should be done when adding dll reference using the wizard. OE should already have the information it needs to build the necessary structure.

Production - Run-time:

- The dlls (and sometimes the Infragistics dll themselves) are not being loaded unless you put assemblies.xml and the dlls inside the "Start In" folder specified by the shortcut icon.

Posted by Peter Judge on 29-Sep-2009 07:57

OE Architect - Design-Time:

- The folder you specified as the value for the parameter has to be part of the project. This is acceptable, just annoying because of it's a redandunt process. Maybe they should automatically add the folder to the project if it is really needed. Same thing should be done when adding dll reference using the wizard. OE should already have the information it needs to build the necessary structure.

You can specify a folder anywhere on disk for the -assemblies parameter. There's no requirement that it be in the/a project/workspace.

By default, OEA uses the project's root directory (and the runtime uses the start-in directory, which you could see as conceptuallt similar).

-- peter

Posted by Peter Judge on 29-Sep-2009 08:43

Trying to move the IG .dlls  into their own directory to ease the deployment. So I created a new folder called controls, copied the IG controls into it and copied my existing assemblies.xml file into it. I then changed the properties of the project, adding -assemblies to the startup options. 

Project starts ok - but there is no "referenced assemblies" option in the resources tab, and I can't load any forms into the Visual Designer because it can't find the type information of the controls.

I tried this and had to restart OEA: it wasn't enough to restart the project AVM. I'd say that's worth a call to TS.

The 'controls' folder was outside the scope of the workspace, BTW.

-- peter

Posted by jquerijero on 29-Sep-2009 09:29

In OE Architect the folder has to be added to the project or else the reference entries will display an X mark. I had a support call regarding this, and ended up adding the folder to the project. I think the actual requirement was that the custom dlls have to be part of the project regardless if you are using the -assemblies or the root folder. The problem is not as apparent if the dlls are in the root folder, since the project load/refresh will add the files to the project.

Posted by Admin on 29-Sep-2009 10:38

Production - Run-time:

- The dlls (and sometimes the Infragistics dll themselves) are

not being loaded unless you put assemblies.xml and the dlls inside

the "Start In" folder specified by the shortcut icon.

Are you saying that the -assemblies parameter does not work for you in a production environment?

This thread is closed