Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 28-Sep-2009 07:13

Hello,

how i can create a new record?

"Edit table data by typing directly into cells."

But how? I cannot enter any new rows.

Stefan

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Sep-2009 11:21

Just a thought ... is your SQL connection read-only?

Myself, I would write a little ABL program.

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 29-Sep-2009 02:28

Thomas,

does it work on you side? That's curious!

Because i can change the values without problems but unable to add new rows.

Yes - i can write a ABL program, i can write SQL statements but i would like to have the comfort to edit the data direct with a builtin tool.

(like phpmyadmin, Visual Studio , ...)

OT: Does anybody use the Server-Explorer from VS2005 with 10.2A? I got errors over errors when adding rows but i can add them.

Stefan

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 29-Sep-2009 11:16

It would never occur to me to type in a new row in that fashion.  I avoid SQL updates generally and can't imagine a circumstance where it would be sensible to add data that way.

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 30-Sep-2009 01:56

Hi,

if OEA uses SQL by itself why i shouldn't use it???

tamhas schrieb:

It would never occur to me to type in a new row in that fashion.  I avoid SQL updates generally and can't imagine a circumstance where it would be sensible to add data that way.

I develop a application with local db that will get data from a remote system, the remote system isn't ready until today.

So the fastest way, without writing any code and creating some real testdata, is using this tool and then i would like to add some row.

As workaround i use SQL statement (INSERT INTO ..)

BTW: If it makes no sense to add data with tools like this why other databases (MSQL, MS-SQL) have tools with this function?

Stefan

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 30-Sep-2009 11:20

Those tools are SQL oriented databases.  One does everything with SQL.  SQL is something of an after thought with OE ... one that has matured pretty well and which even has a few pluses, like non-index reads, that I wish we could get in the ABL.  But, bottom line, it is not the preferred way to do things with an OE database.  It's primary utility is in reporting with third party tools.  It happens to fit OK in the OEA environment for what it does and it may even be that you should be able to do what you want, but I'm also not surprised that no one else seems to be joining in this thread because I think ABL oriented people would be unlikely to ever try it.  To add a little data, all you need is a few lines of ABL and it is very easy to set something up with minimum data entry to create some sample data.  For one record the program is trivial and for multiple records hardly any more.  If you want to pursue this, I would suggest opening a call with tech support since you don't seem to be getting any useful feedback here.

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 30-Sep-2009 16:21

You can use the DBViewer plugin (search on eclipse.org or use the update url: http://www.ne.jp/asahi/zigen/home/plugin/dbviewer/) if you want to have more UI capabilities.

I'm not sure if you can edit schema information (like you can in DBNavigator) but for viewing and modifying data it should work.

To insert a row quickly you can generate the select script (right-click in DBNavigator on the table) and modify the statement into an insert.

Of course, using an ABL editor (INSERT

) is the most easy way to add a record to the database. (you can always map a short-cut key-combination to the procedure editor in OEA (under preferences > keys)).

This thread is closed