10.2A02: INI Files and Run Configurations

Posted by Admin on 01-Oct-2009 23:18

It appears to be that in 10.2A02 the handling of the ini file in run configurations has changed.

I've observed that now a default ini file (with the required propath) or that one you specify is copied to the OEA temp directory and used for the current run/debug session. After the run this file is deleted. This may be fine in many situations. Right now I'm working with a client who's existing application uses a lot of custom settings/sections in the ini file (or the registry branch used by prowin32). With this change ini file entries are only valid for a single launch. It's impossible to test reactions on changes made in a previous run - which is not helpful at all and really reduces the attractiveness of the Debugger here.

Is there any information available on the backgrounds of this change.

Previously the run configurations used an ini "as is" and did the required PROPATH modifications using a launcher procedure setting PROPATH = "...." in ABL source code. I guess that was a much better choice.

All Replies

Posted by egarcia on 02-Oct-2009 07:59

Hello Mike,

OpenEdge Architect 10.2A FCS used a temporary ini file to specify the PROPATH for  lauch configurations.

This was changed in 10.2A01 and a temporary ini file is no longer used. Instead, a different temporary file is used to handle the PROPATH.

In this way the settings from the registry are used, unless you specify an ini file for the session.

The behavior in 10.2A02 should be the same as in 10.2A01.

I am guessing that somehow the actual plugins correspond to 10.2A FCS.

Could you check the version of the plugins listed by the Plug-in Details option in Architect?

I hope this helps,

Edsel

Posted by Admin on 05-Oct-2009 15:22

Hi Edsel,

thanks for your comment. I did test this on my machine and it works as described. I'll double check with my customer and will get back to you!

Mike

Posted by Admin on 11-Oct-2009 07:40

Edsel, we did test this again at the client site and it works fine now. The assumption is, that they did not use -clean after upgrading to SP2.

Thanks for you help!

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 11-Oct-2009 12:07

-clean solves a surprising number of ills ...

This thread is closed