Architect 10.1C Performance

Posted by dbeattie on 16-Apr-2008 08:14

We've been using 10.1C for the last few weeks (upgraded from 10.1B). Anyway, the performance within Architect has been awful. By performance I mean editing, compiling, etc. For example, I'll highlight three lines of text and hit CTRL+/ and it will take 3 to 10 seconds to comment the line. Also after selecting some text to copy and then selecting a place to paste will cause the editor to pause a few seconds before allowing the paste. We never had these problems with 10.1B so I assume there is more going on. I should also mention that we use the RTB plug-in too (under both versions). Its possible this is causing issues too. During the beta of 10.1C I didn't have these issues, but I also wasn't using RTB.

Has anyone else encountered performance difference between the two versions? With or without RTB?

All Replies

Posted by jmls on 16-Apr-2008 11:32

I think I found that problem too. However, before I had a chance to look into it I decided to not only install from scratch, but I also built a new workspace as well. Haven't had the problem since

Posted by dbeattie on 21-Apr-2008 09:55

It appears I might have to do the same thing. I might report to TS if I can find the time, but this is the kind of thing that just takes way too long to work through; and I'll probably end up with the same resolution.

Posted by niekk on 31-Jul-2008 07:27

Has any of you logged this with TS and got a satisfactory answer?

We are having the same issues, OEA slow and taking 300+Mb of memory.

What exactly do you mean by build a clean workspace? Starting OEA with -clean?

Thx

Niek

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 31-Jul-2008 11:04

Do you have anything like -vmargs -Xmx1024m -Xss2M on the run? I have found that giving it memory up front helps in several respects.

Posted by jmls on 02-Aug-2008 16:21

No. and No.

We are having the same issues, OEA slow and taking

300+Mb of memory.

wow. Mine is normally around the 70mb mark.

What exactly do you mean by build a clean workspace?

Starting OEA with -clean?

Erasing the .metadata directory.

This is a drastic step - you have to reconfigure all of your projects etc etc.

Sometimes if you browse around in the .metadata directory and remove all the cr*p and temporary files you may achieve the same result. Specifically, look at the .metadata\.plugins\com.openedge.pdt.text directory for stuff to remove.

Thx

NiekHas any of you logged this with TS and got a

satisfactory answer?

Posted by Admin on 01-Sep-2008 06:06

Hi

New to OpenEdge, and first post in this forum, but I just wanted to post that I too have experienced performance issues with Architect. Commenting line(s) takes a few seconds, as mentioned, and also, if I mark some lines of text and press TAB or SHIFT+TAB to indent, this also takes a second or 4. Also, in some situations (like, when I have just opened a file) Architect "goes dead" for quite a while, and the javaw-process takes a lot of CPU.

Earlier, I used to work with an other 4GL language/tool, Visual Dataflex, which had an Eclipse plugin delivered by Resheim Software (www.resheim.no). The first versions of this plugin had some performance issues similar to those I now experience with the Architect, but later versions were much better, so I hope and believe that this will be the case with Architect also, as it is a great tool.

I'm not using RT or any other addiotional plugins, by the way. The OS is Windows Vista.

Posted by jmls on 03-Sep-2008 06:18

I might have a potential solution here. I was using OEA 10.1C01 quite happily until, for no apparent reason, performance took a dive. It was literally taking seconds for each keystroke to appear.

Quit out, restarted. Same problem.

Turns out I had a very large include file (1000+ lines), which was open in OEA and a .w which was using the include file open as well.

I closed the include file and .w, and performance went back to normal ...

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 03-Sep-2008 07:31

I might have a potential solution here. I was using

OEA 10.1C01 quite happily until, for no apparent

reason, performance took a dive. It was literally

taking seconds for each keystroke to appear.

Quit out, restarted. Same problem.

Turns out I had a very large include file (1000+

lines), which was open in OEA and a .w which was

using the include file open as well.

I closed the include file and .w, and performance

went back to normal ...

Most likely this is from the code parser going through all the files looking for all the variables and such.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 03-Sep-2008 10:58

I guess that will teach you ... 1000 line include file!!!!!!

Posted by Admin on 03-Sep-2008 11:09

Come on! Don't always yell about the way we all have been sucessfully coding for ages.

I'm successfully and frequently customizing the ADM2 and Dynamics source code. A number of include files are for bigger than just 1000 lines of code.

I haven't seen a comment here confirming that the guys with those issues have added

-vmargs -Xmx1024m -Xss2M

to the Eclipse command line. That helps.

Posted by Admin on 05-Sep-2008 04:03

>I haven't seen a comment here confirming that the guys with those issues have >added

>

>> -vmargs -Xmx1024m -Xss2M

>

>to the Eclipse command line. That helps.

I have added -vmargs -Xmx1024m -Xss2M to the command line, and it didnt' help.

I.e., I have a procedure of 7700 lines that takes more than a minute to open. Strange thing is that I have this procedure in two different projects; one project with the code that is checked into SourceSafe, and one project with a copy of files that I'm working on. If I open the first one, Eclipse is ready in just 5-6 seconds, but if I open the other one, It takes more than a minute. Both files resides in folders on the same network drive. I can't find any major differences in the way those two projects are set up, apart from that they point to two different folders.

What is also kind of strange, is that it takes more than a minute every time I open the mentioned file. As mentioned before, I have used an Eclipse plugin for an other 4GL-tool earlier. That plugin parsed the file the first time you opened it, and, I guess, every time you saved it. But the next time you opened it, it was already parsed, so it all went really quick. The object model was in-memory, so it didn't matter how many or how big the other files you had opened were: it searched the datamodel, not the files. I don't know how Architect works, if it is in the same way, or differently.

Btw, we had files of 5-10 000 lines using that plugin, and didn't experience many performance problems. (and at that time I used arguments -vmargs -Xmx512m)

Right now I'm back to using AppBuilder and the procedure editor there, using only the DB Navigtor in Architect, hoping that future releases (or suggestions) will solve the performance issues.

Posted by ksv on 15-Oct-2009 06:54

I want to continue the topic because the performance of OEA on 10.2A doesn't look better than 10.1C. I suppose there're reasons behind it (Visual Designer, Eclipse 3.4 and everything) but when I press " (quotation mark) or { (curly bracket) OEA freezes for several seconds (up to 5) before allowing me to continue? Are there any optimization technics - parameters or anything which can help?

Posted by ksv on 15-Oct-2009 10:56

In addition to " and { described in my previous post I noticed that OEA has difficulties with TAB as well.

Posted by Matt Baker on 15-Oct-2009 11:23

A few other things to look at.

If you files on are on a network drive, trying moving them locally and see if that eliminates the problem.

How big are your source files once you preprocess them?  The 100 line file may really be several thousand lines that need to be processed by the editor.

Is it only one file that causes the problem, or all your source files?

Try turning off both bracket matching and auto bracketing.  window->preferences->openedge->editor and ->assistance.  Bracket matching is fairly expensive especially if you use lots of include files.

If those don't work, try off automatic context assistance on "." and ":" (it is still accessible when typing ctr+space)

If your database is on a WAN (instead of LAN or local) you can turn off the fetch of database description text which can sometimes be problematic depending on how you use content assistance.

Posted by ksv on 15-Oct-2009 14:35

Thank you, Matthew, for your repsonse, but it seems I don't have many possibilities to speed up my OEA.

If you files on are on a network drive, trying moving them locally and see if that eliminates the problem.

Well, they are, if I move them locally, I'll lose a possibility to run them on Unix. So it doesn't work

How big are your source files once you preprocess them?

They're big. Usually the problems are with files which have about thousand or more lines of code. The suggestion to split them won't work because they're mostly appbuilder's files

Try turning off both bracket matching and auto bracketing.  window->preferences->openedge->editor and ->assistance.  Bracket matching is fairly expensive especially if you use lots of include files.

Auto bracketing was turned off by me at once as for  bracket matching   - where's that? there's 'Highlight matching elements in code' in the preferences, maybe, you meant that? Anyway it looks like a good candidate to be turned off I'll try. As for the rest of assistance it's turned off. The database is on LAN so it can't be a problem.

Posted by Matt Baker on 15-Oct-2009 15:22

1k lines isn't a big file.  I was thinking maybe something like 15k+.

The suggestion of moving them to a local machine was to try to eliminate any network issues.

Are you using 10.2a or 10.2a02?  I know of some issues with slow editor in 10.2a that were fixed in service packs.

Posted by ksv on 15-Oct-2009 16:17

1k lines isn't a big file.  I was thinking maybe something like 15k+.

The biggest I have is 5500 the others are much less than that.

The suggestion of moving them to a local machine was to try to eliminate any network issues.

If I move them locally I won't have any problem but as I said I can't move them. Anyway it's not quite obvious even with a network file how typing ", TAB or { influences OEA performance? What's OEA doing when I'm typing these characters? Is it compiling a file or what? 

BTW I'm on 10.2A02

Posted by Sunil Belgaonkar on 16-Oct-2009 09:23

Hi Sergey

Is your workspace local or remote? At a minimum, I would recommend you having workspace local.

As Matt suggested, for optimal performance, I would recommend having the code locally available to OEA.

On one of the Eclipse forums, I recently came across a plug-in that sync's Eclipse local code to a network location. I haven't tried or tested this so don't consider this as a recommendation but I would look at this as one of the choices that might help you - http://eclipse-plugins.2y.net/eclipse/plugin_details.jsp?id=1012. If you do end-up trying this or any other sync plug-ins, i would be interested in your feedback. So let us know. Thanks

Regards

Sunil.

Posted by ksv on 16-Oct-2009 11:58

Hello Sunil,

Unfortunately my workspace is on a network, since I develop on Windows but compile & run code on Unix.

As a matter of fact if my problem, say, was about building, I'd be able to solve it with developing my own builder but I'm not sure that it will help in my situation.

Anyway thank you for the link, it looks promising, I'll try to use and let you know.

Posted by Sunil Belgaonkar on 16-Oct-2009 12:22

Sergey,

As a first step I would recommend that you create a local workspace - as Eclipse is chatty with the workspace metadata and having that on a network drive will have some performance impact.

Next when you create a project, in the OpenEdge Project creation wizard you can point to code outside of workspace directory (uncheck the use default location checkbox and point to your source code on a directory that is not in your local workspace - in your case, on network drive). in addition, you should be able to go to that Project's properties and be able to set AVM setting as TTY. This wll launch a _progress session instead of thw prowin32 and will compile the ABL code using TTY settings. I am hoping that these settings should be able simulate your environment on Unix box - unless you are working with a 64 bit environment.

If that works, I would try copying the source code locally and try file sync plug-ins to keep the code on Unix box in sync - to get additional performance gains in OEA environment.

Let me know if this helps.

Sunil.

This thread is closed