Working with OE Architect and .r

Posted by guilmori on 30-Oct-2009 08:38

Hello,

OE 10.1C02

OE Architect works better with .r (code assistance, class browser, debugger, ...).

However, when we refresh our local source code with our source control software, the old .r remains, and a Build operation doesn't detect that the source file is more recent than the .r file. We have 10000+ source files, so we cannot wipe out all .r and recompile each time, it's way too long.

So I'm wondering how do you handle this situation ?

- Is there any settings in OEA to detect and recompile old .r ?

- Anyone using somekind of software that is monitoring local source file folder, and on write access, triggers an event that can be used to delete corresponding .r ?

Thanks,

Guillaume

All Replies

Posted by rbf on 30-Oct-2009 08:51

Which source control software are you using? We use subclipse and it immediately compiles all objects that are checked out.

With include files it is another story...

Anyway, in the early days of v9 I wrote an MRM (Most Recently Modified) compiler that figured out which sources needed a recompile, I can look for you in my archives if you are interested in the code.

-peter

Posted by Admin on 30-Oct-2009 08:56

Which source control software are you using? We use subclipse and

it immediately compiles all objects that are checked out.

Same with P4WSAD for Perforce. It immediately triggers the Progress Builder.

Posted by guilmori on 30-Oct-2009 09:04

We're using Sourcegear Vault. I'll have to check if this kind of functionality exists.

Posted by guilmori on 30-Oct-2009 09:11

Anyway, in the early days of v9 I wrote an MRM (Most Recently Modified) compiler that figured out which sources needed a recompile, I can look for you in my archives if you are interested in the code.

Yes I am!

Anyone did integrate such kind of tool in Architect, so it can be called for a specific directory, or for the whole project ?

Posted by Admin on 30-Oct-2009 09:46

Anyone did integrate such kind of tool in Architect, so it can be called for a specific directory, or for the whole project ?

External tools are your friend here. They can be parameterized using variables so that they set the -param for a prowin32.exe or _progres session.

They can be distributed to other developers as .launch files using the SCM tool.

Posted by rbf on 31-Oct-2009 07:50

guilmori wrote:

Yes I am!

Well you prompted me to dig in my archives and start publishing my old utilities on my new web site. MRMcompile is the first one! Check out www.futureproofsoftware.com -> Publications -> Utilities and there it is!

The MRM compiler is not rocket science but probably does what you need and of course you can suit it to your needs. Let me know if it works for you!

OBLÉ

-peter

Attend my GUI for .NET presentations at PUG  Challenge
on 13 and 14 November in Rotterdam:
"The Power of User Controls" and "Look! Office  2007"

Peter  van Dam BSc         Author of 'Making Progress With Ajax'
Future Proof  Software                      OpenEdge Consultancy
De Maroc  22                   SaaS, Ajax, OpenEdge GUI for .NET
2291 JZ   WATERINGEN                 www.futureproofsoftware.com
The  Netherlands              pvd at futureproofsoftware dot com

Posted by guilmori on 02-Nov-2009 08:59

I'll have to play with it a little bit as it doesn't not treat .cls file and doesn't scan sub-folders of propath entries.

But it's a good start.

Thanks Peter!

Posted by rbf on 02-Nov-2009 09:14

guilmori wrote:

I'll have to play with it a little bit as it doesn't not treat .cls file and doesn't scan sub-folders of propath entries.

But it's a good start.

Thanks Peter!

Yes it is a very old utility (somewhere last century ).

If you have an improved version, please send it back to me and I will republish it with your credentials.

-peter

Posted by mccrystal on 11-Nov-2009 19:18

Yep - we're using ant scripts (+ PCT) to compile the source - the beauty of this is that it will look at both the procedure AND include files when determining what needs to be rebuilt. The build can be run from external tools, using an ANT script containing to tell ant to use PCT (http://pct.rssw.eu/index.html)

This thread is closed