Shortcut for Editor

Posted by ericg on 21-Dec-2009 12:27

Hi there.

I have the same OpenEdge version installed on my personal computer and another on a server.

I try creating a shortcut Editor on my Desktop to run programs on the server.

So in the shortcut properties I have the Target looking like this:

C:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin\prowin32.exe -db Z:\DB\mydb -S mydb -H myserver

And the Start in path looking like this:

Z:\workspace\myproject

The start in path is a mapped shared folder on the server.

Now this works and I can access the DB.

But when I try running a procedure it wants to run the one on my machine, not the one on the server?

When I run code to display the files in the current directory, it does display the ones on the server, which is right. But when

running a program it wants to run the one on my machine?

All Replies

Posted by ericg on 21-Dec-2009 12:59

Success in a way.
Well I just open an editor session inside Architect, since it is already connected to the DB, and run the procedure within by specifying the path as:
RUN z:/workspace/myproject/src/myprocedure.p (OUTPUT TABLE mytable).
And it does the same thing. Which is bypassing the App server so I can do some metrics.

Posted by egarcia on 21-Dec-2009 13:13

Hello,

Now this works and I can access the DB

But when I try running a procedure it wants to run the one on my machine, not the one on the server?

I am not sure if I am understanding how the procedure is being run here.

Is it run from within another program?

Is it run from the editor within OpenEdge Architect.

I would check the PROPATH and definition of the launch configuration.

C:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin\prowin32.exe -db Z:\DB\mydb -S mydb -H myserver

I wanted to say that since the database is running on a server machine and the connection is using network parameters -H and -S, there is no need to specify the physical path to the database.

The following can also be used:

C:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin\prowin32.exe -db mydb -S mydb -H myserver

Regards.

Posted by ericg on 21-Dec-2009 13:29

Yes that was it, the propath. Once I set the propath in my editor session before anything else, then it finds the procedure on the server.

So the propath to the src folder on the server was never set (permanently). And that is why it wanted to access my machines src folder.

Thanks!

Posted by egarcia on 21-Dec-2009 13:44

Great. I am glad to know that the suggestion helped you.

I am guessing that in your environment the .propath file is not present or is not in the same directory as the .project file (Z:\workspace\myproject).

Here is some additional information on Architect in case you need it.

When working within OpenEdge Architect, you can set the PROPATH using the project properties. A .propath file is created in the project directory. The PROPATH is then used in the OpenEdge session associated with the project (for the compile for example) and also when running programs from the editor using launch configurations.

Best regards.

This thread is closed