Customising Perspectives in Architect

Posted by Admin on 01-Feb-2010 08:38

So far I have created three customised perspectives, one to be used for editing .p's (".P Perspective"), one for .w's (".W Perspective") and one for .cls (".Class Perspective") files.

Three questions really....

1.) Is it possible to "share" these customised perspectives with other users i.e. so these perspectives become the norm across all developers in a team?

2.) Can you assign customised perspectives to automatically open and overide the current default either on file -> open or double clicking the file in the project explorer e.g. double clicking test.p would open this file in the customised .P Perspective, opening test.w would open this in .W Perspective, and so on....

3.) Is it possible to open these three perspectives on startup of the application?

Any help from the Progress wizz kids would be much appreciated!

Dez

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 01-Feb-2010 16:00

1.) Is it possible to "share"
these customised perspectives with other users i.e. so these
perspectives become the norm across all developers in a team?

Not as far as I can tell.  This kind of thing would normally show up under file->export->preferences.  I don't see anything there specific to perspectives, it may be included as part of the preferences export.

2.) Can you assign customised
perspectives to automatically open and overide the current default
either on file -> open or double clicking the file in the project
explorer e.g. double clicking test.p would open this file in the
customised .P Perspective, opening test.w would open this in .W
Perspective, and so on...

Yes.  Use the -perspective startup parameter.   The workbench help in OEA has more information

3.) Is it possible to open  these three perspectives on startup of the application?

OEA (Eclipse) restores your perspectives that you were using when you shutdown.  So if you want those three, then just leave them open when you close OEA.  There is no startup parameter for this.

Posted by Srinivas Kantipudi on 02-Feb-2010 03:18

For the first question:

1. There is no seperate option to export only custom perspectives. You can export the Preferences and custom Perspectives will be included with them. You can then import these Preferences to any workspace. Please remember that all the workspace Preferences will be exported and imported using this option.

Posted by Admin on 03-Feb-2010 03:20

Thanks Matt & Srinivas - you've both been very helpful

Posted by Admin on 03-Feb-2010 03:53

Hi Matt,

Could you point me in the right direction re: loading a customised perspective based on file type please? I can't seem to find any information about the -perspective startup parameter.

I can see in the OEA help how to set a one main default perspective and this is obviously regardless of what file is opened.

Thanks

Posted by Matt Baker on 03-Feb-2010 07:53

There is no option to specify switching perspectives for each file.  That isn't really how perspectives are intended to be used.

What you can do is open a second window (window->new window) and have that window be a separate perspective with a different set of files open.

You should also have a full copy of all the help installed with OEA (help->contents->workbench user guide->tasks->running eclipse.)

Posted by Admin on 03-Feb-2010 10:44

Okay Matt thanks for the response. It was one of the queries my manager had as we're preparing to move all workstations over to Architect.

Dez

This thread is closed