Building Linked Resources

Posted by Admin on 31-Mar-2008 13:43

Since upgrading to 10.1C I have noticed that when building files which are linked resources that they do not get saved with the .w's. I believe this has been broken in 10.1C as it use to work just fine.

For example, I have a blank 'build destination'. When I change a file in a linked resource folder, the .r gets created but it places it in the main project area and creates the new directory structure. According to the help for this field if the build destination is blank, compiled files should be placed with source files.

i.e.

Project area is c:\code. Have a linked folder c:\custom. When I save or compile a file in c:\custom it is now creating c:\code\custom and placing the .r there.

Can anyone else confirm this behavior? I believe this is a bug.

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 04-Apr-2008 08:22

Carson,

The behavior in pre-10.1C was to store r-code in the same directory as the linked resource. None of the build rules for a project were applied to linked resources and was therefore inconsistent with the non-linked resources.

In 10.1C, the r-code destination for linked resources is made consistent with the rest of the build rules so that now rcode for linked resources can be placed into specific target directories based on how the build for the rest of the project is setup. The build rules are no longer ignored for linked resources.

Posted by Admin on 08-Apr-2008 07:06

I am ok with applying the build rules to the linked resources in the same manner as regular project files. However, in my case I have not specified a target build directory. Therefore I would expect the default behavior of storing the .r with the .p or .w. It does not make any sense to create directories under the project area and store the .r's there since they will not even be in the PROPATH!!!

If you are confirming that changes were made then i will most likely report this as a bug when the target build directory is left blank.

Posted by jquerijero on 01-Mar-2010 17:02

Any news on this one? The other thing that bugs me is that OE Architect cannot seem to locate the r-code if the linked resource has sub folders.

Posted by Matt Baker on 01-Mar-2010 18:25

The expectation is that if you do not have a build directory specified for a source directory entry AND the project r-code destination is left blank, then the r-code is left in the same directory as the original ABL source.  Make sure you are on the latest service pack since I believe this was fixed/changed in 102a01 to behave as such.  Previous versions would recreate the directory structure underneath the project and would not take into account the linked directories.

Posted by Matt Baker on 01-Mar-2010 18:30

The other thing that bugs me is that OE Architect cannot seem to locate 
the r-code if the linked resource has sub folders.

I have no idea what you mean by this statement.

This thread is closed