Printing

Posted by ChUIMonster on 09-Mar-2010 08:05

I love OpenEdge Architect.  I especially like running it on dual 24 inch monitors -- OEA filling one screen, the application (and other stuff) on the other.  This way the code window actually shows most of a printed page of code while leaving sufficient room for most of the other panes.  It's very nice.  (Although when I get a couple more monitors I will probably want better support for undocking those panes in a reasonable manner.)

However... there are times when I want to print out the code, mull it over and mark it up with a pen.

On the plus side OEA does at least print the code in color.  OTOH I don't really care too much about the colors.

On the not so plus side OEA insists on wasting the top inch of each page with a useless header that I can find no way to get rid of.  Ditto for wasting the bottom 0.75" on a page number.  The 1" left margin is yet another complete waste.  The right hand margin looks to be about 0.5".  If I use Wordpad I get 90 lines on a page.  OEA gets 70.  Wordpad gives me 130 columns.  OEA 100.  In summary OEA prints 40% less of a page than Wordpad does.

I have no idea how much of this is intrinsic to Eclipse and how much of it OEA has control over.  I'm sure that it is no where near the top of anyone's priotity list.  But fixing it would sure be nice.

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 09-Mar-2010 08:27

I have no idea how much of this is intrinsic to Eclipse and how much

of it OEA has control over. I'm sure that it is no where near the

top of anyone's priotity list. But fixing it would sure be nice.

Looks like Eclipse missed that use-case (customisable printing, that is); most of the search results I found suggested using an external launcher which uses enscript (Unix-only, so, yeah, um, that adds some complexity on Windows).

(You can set up External Tools configurations which are simple/general versions of launch configs; it's the green 'go' arrow that's been decorated with a red toolbox (?)).

-- peter

This thread is closed