Question about OEA Behavior & Customization

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 16-Mar-2010 12:45

I'm an ED4Win user transitioning to OEA 10.2B, and I must say I like what I've seen so far. I've been able to set most things up the way I want and customize it to suit my personal tastes.

Something I'd like to see is cursor-past-end-of-line so I can run a cursor straight down a page and see that things are lined up, match blocks, etc. Is there a way to do this in OEA 10.2B?

Second - ED4Win does auto-completion on any non-comment word prior to the current position, while OEA only seems to do auto-completion on variables, classes, and database fields for the connected db. This is a problem when working with longer-named frames, TTs, and the like.

Is there a way to get OEA to auto-complete TT, frame, or similar names?

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 16-Mar-2010 18:24

Completion on language structures gets improved with each release.  10.2B focused on data structures such as buffers and temp-tables, along with some new language features such as events, and some work for generics. 10.2A added .NET structures and similar.

Frames and widgets are not done yet.  Despite the recent posts about the ERS, my best suggestion would be to log a request.

It does have emacs style word completion "Alt+/" which might work for you although it is hard-coded to be case sensitive (I looked into making it case insensitive a while ago, but its too deeply embedded in the editor to fix it).

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 16-Mar-2010 20:35

mbaker wrote:

Completion on language structures gets improved with each release.  10.2B focused on data structures such as buffers and temp-tables, along with some new language features such as events, and some work for generics. 10.2A added .NET structures and similar.

Frames and widgets are not done yet.  Despite the recent posts about the ERS, my best suggestion would be to log a request.

It does have emacs style word completion "Alt+/" which might work for you although it is hard-coded to be case sensitive (I looked into making it case insensitive a while ago, but its too deeply embedded in the editor to fix it).

All this fancy stuff is nice - what ED4Win did and what I'm looking for here is auto-completion using non-commented words in the source file. This would cover all the instances of TT's, fields, frames, variables, and the like using simple 'word' token recognition as opposed to parsing the file for phrase / token structures.

This would be lower-hanging fruit that the 'language recognition' stuff - which can come later with it's addition functionality.

At least, IMPO.

This thread is closed