Lower case standard ... again

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 26-Mar-2010 17:56

Some of us use lower case keywords.  I don't know what percentage, but it is a lot of folks, I'm sure.  I'm wondering if PSC couldn't do something to make using lower case keywords less painful.  The ability to fold the case on save was definitely a big help.  It means that I'm not screaming every time I make a new class and I haven't gotten around to creating my own custom templates.  But, the macros drive me nuts.  I had a set of my own that I painfully modified to lower case in a prior version, but now, of course, the format has changed so I can't read in my old ones any more.  Yes, I know there are new macros for new language features and it is nice you have done that for us, but the idea of having to edit that whole file again is really irritating.

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 26-Mar-2010 18:28

In 10.2B, keywords, macros and templates (new code wizards like methods, properties...) are all passed through the keyword formatter before being inserted into the editor.  So the case of the macro shouldn't matter, it gets reformatted to whatever your editor keyword preference is set to.  Even the content assistance will display the values in the format you have selected.  (window->preferences->openedge architect->editor->case->.  I just tried it with the new class wizard, with keyword completion, and with the new procedure wizard and it appears to work fine in each case.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 26-Mar-2010 19:03

Well, OK, I suppose that helps, but I'm still facing a significant editing job.  In prior versions, I would export the template file from the new version, compare to mine from the prior, move across anything new, and be back in business.  Now I am going to have to go through it line by line.  Why only one line for properties, for example when everything else has one line per datatype?

And, of course, that quirk of having prefxes on mine for the datatype.

Posted by Admin on 27-Mar-2010 01:00

Why not having a prefix for your Macros (like your notation for variable names anyway)? Then they'd all be in order and easy to select and export from the Macros dialog in OEA.

No need to fiddle around with that properties file at all.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 27-Mar-2010 11:21

After a dozen years (the earlier part in ED4W) of typing dvch to define a character variable I'm now supposed to retrain to typing tmhdvch?  Not very appealing.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 27-Mar-2010 11:59

tamhas wrote:

After a dozen years (the earlier part in ED4W) of typing dvch to define a character variable I'm now supposed to retrain to typing tmhdvch?  Not very appealing.

Change the "template" abbreviation sequence.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 27-Mar-2010 13:24

I.e.. edit every entry ... which is what I was complaining about.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 27-Mar-2010 14:12

don't you already have entries from an existing OEA installation?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 27-Mar-2010 14:21

The format has changed since the last set I have.  If it would have been able to read the old format, I would then just have editted that for new constructs.

This thread is closed