Architect Slowness with Old Programs

Posted by justinfowler on 15-Apr-2010 10:30

Hi All,

Using 10.2B.

I've noticed that when editing some old and very large programs with lots of different coding styles, Architect becomes unresponsive and gets out of memory errors. CPU hits maximum, Xmx parameter changes do nothing except make me wait longer to get the out of memory errors.

Basically I have a bunch of programs that I can't edit inside Architect.

I've hammered the Knowledge Base about this. Most refer to changing Eclipse parameters and there is one that mentions a certain BUFFER-COPY style that gives this behaviour.

I was wondering if anyone has knows some other code styles that cause Architect to exhibit this behaviour.

Thanks,

Justin

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 15-Apr-2010 12:38

There have been prior threads here about very large programs, especially with lot of includes so that the full program size is really large, and performance issues.  You might want to look for those and see if you get any hints.  I doubt that coding style, per se, would be an issue, unless you count excessive includes, nested includes, and failure to break code into reasonable modules as coding style issues ....

Posted by justinfowler on 15-Apr-2010 12:50

Thanks, I assumed as much. These programs have a massive number of includes and includes inside includes.

I have read through all the posts with the same issue, nothing is really helpful. I can understand why the Architect would die opening these programs.

Thanks,

Justin

Posted by Sunil Belgaonkar on 15-Apr-2010 13:13

Hi Justin

I would really appreciate if you could open a Tech Support call and provide us with your code (after sorting out any legal needs like NDA etc...) so we can reproduce the performance problems in-house and try to understand the cause of the issue.

Thanks,

Sunil.

This thread is closed