AppBuilder perspective problem

Posted by vjug on 03-Nov-2010 07:18

Lately I've experienced some strange behaviours with OE Architect. Since we have a lot of legacy applications I mainly use AppBuilder for GUI changes and usually it works fine, but lately I lost some work! While switching between AppBuilder and code view, at one moment all changes I've done in AppBuilder were lost. Everything I did appeared ok in AppBuilder, but when I closed the file and reopen it, the version was from some point in time, without changes I did in last 20-30 min. I didn't noticed right away, but after few occurences of this behavior I accidentaly noticed a message in lower left corner of OEA: "AppBuilder appears to be busy for synchronization. Editor has been set to read-only until synchronization is completed." (it's written in red beacuse it appeared in red).

Can somebody tell me what's happening? And more important, how to stop this? How to debug this?

I use 10.2B with SP2, Eclipse version 3.5.1

Thanks in advance!

All Replies

Posted by egarcia on 05-Nov-2010 06:40

Hello,

When using the AppBuilder from within OpenEdge Architect, there is file synchronization between the ABL editor in Architect and the AppBuilder.

The synchronization is perfomed when going from one editor to the another. (The synchronization is done by using a temporary file at the .metadata\.plugins\com.openedge.pdt.project\p1 - if the synchronization failed, the file would still be there.)

When the ABL editor receives focus, the content from the AppBuilder (window) is synchronized to the ABL editor.

When the ABL editor loses focus, the content of the editor is synchronized to the ABL editor.

AppBuilder appears to be busy for synchronization. Editor has been set to read-only until synchronization is completed.

This message means that the AppBuilder was busy and the changes fromthe ABL editor could not be synchronized (copied) to the AppBuilder.

This message would appear when the AppBuilder is at a message-box or at a system dialog box.

It could also happen if the AppBuilder process has terminated.

In this state a compile operation or syntax check would also give you a message indicating that the OpenEdge session is busy.

To debug this, you just need to figure out what the AppBuilder (OpenEdge session) is doing.

Could it be that you were running a .w file that called a message-box from the AppBuilder instead of using the Run button in Architect?

Using alt-tab on Windows could give you access to the message-box.

I hope this helps.

Posted by vjug on 05-Nov-2010 10:00

I checked for background messages with alt-tab (I do that often since I use OEA ) but there was nothing and option "Compile" was enabled for the file.

I restarted the project so that's probably the reason why the synchronization file no longer exist. In the meanwhile, since it was blocking my production, I've reset the workspace (deleted everything from .metadata folder) and now it works fine but I've lost some of the settings. Another thing that I've noticed is that AppBuilder left undocked and opened after I closed the OE Architect.

Posted by egarcia on 08-Nov-2010 14:00

The AppBuilder is left undocked and opened because Architect could not communicate with the AppBuilder.

A possible way to debug this scenario would be to use the standalone Debugger and attach to the OpenEdge session. However, if the session is busy at a message-box, then it would say so and the Debugger would have to wait to connect.

If this issue can be reproduced, enabling logging at OpenEdge session would give you a chance to see what programs are run last.

This thread is closed