Code Documentation - for developers

Posted by qcace on 09-Dec-2010 11:16

We will (or should) add comment lines to our code to aide fellow developers in understanding how the particular program we've written works.  I think it would be neat if there was a way to highlight, or tag, certain lines of code in a program, and then switch to a 'pseudo code' type of view that only shows those lines of code.

Does anyone know if Architect/Eclipse already has this or a similar type of functionality?

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 09-Dec-2010 11:24

qcace wrote:

We will (or should) add comment lines to our code to aide fellow developers in understanding how the particular program we've written works.  I think it would be neat if there was a way to highlight, or tag, certain lines of code in a program, and then switch to a 'pseudo code' type of view that only shows those lines of code.

Does anyone know if Architect/Eclipse already has this or a similar type of functionality?

I don't believe it does. The closest I've seen is the Code Bubbbles project which is just about in beta now.

-- peter

Posted by qcace on 10-Dec-2010 10:11

Please consider the attached proposal for future upgrades to Openedge Architect.

Thanks.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 10-Dec-2010 11:31

Note that I would contend that you should rarely need to document "how".  Far better than comments is code which is simply clear such that anyone who has reasonable mastery of the language can follow it.  Commenting "why" is much more important.

I also tend to think that intent and purpose are rarely best conveyed by in-line comments.  Either these are so brief as to not convey very much or so long that they interrupt the reading of the code itself.  I wish more people would discover the potential of using UML for documentation since it not only provides good visual aids for understanding structure and relationship, but there are all the tools there to document purpose, intent, rationale, need, etc. in as much depth as one has available and to provide traceability between requirements and their implementation.

Amd wotj ABL2UML to build the model for you from existing code, it is even easy to use with legacy systems.

Posted by Admin on 10-Feb-2011 09:05

Peter, just watched that video.

When will we get code bubbles for ABL? :-)

This thread is closed