Visual Designer exception

Posted by jmls on 30-May-2011 07:40

I am getting this error when tying to view the design of a usercontrol:

"An exception occurred loading the design canvas: The variable 'arrayvar2' is either undeclared or was never assigned."

here is the code in question:

DEFINE VARIABLE arrayvar2 AS Progress.Data.ColumnPropDesc EXTENT 3 NO-UNDO.

arrayvar2[1] = NEW Progress.Data.ColumnPropDesc("AgentGUID", "?", Progress.Data.DataType:CHARACTER).

arrayvar2[2] = NEW Progress.Data.ColumnPropDesc("AgentID", "User Code", Progress.Data.DataType:CHARACTER).

arrayvar2[3] = NEW Progress.Data.ColumnPropDesc("AgentName", "Full Name", Progress.Data.DataType:CHARACTER).

tableDesc1:Columns = arrayvar2.

now, call me stupid, but I *think* that I can see a definition as well as an assignment ...

If I change arrayvar2 to arrayvarBroken, then the error message is

"An exception occurred loading the design canvas: The variable 'arrayvarBroken' is either undeclared or was never assigned."

so, I am in the right area ... but flumoxed ...

any clues ?

All Replies

Posted by jmls on 30-May-2011 08:55

Urrggh. Nevermind.

Found the problem.

I had an extra line of code after the @VisualDesigner annotation which caused the problem

Problem code:

@VisualDesigner.FormMember (NeedsInitialize="false", InitializeArray="true").

this-object:gridLookUpEdit1:Properties:DisplayMember = "Description".

def var arrayvar2 AS Progress.Data.ColumnPropDesc EXTENT 2 NO-undo.

arrayvar2[1] = new Progress.Data.ColumnPropDesc("SipServerGUID", "SipServerGUID", Progress.Data.DataType:CHARACTER).

arrayvar2[2] = new Progress.Data.ColumnPropDesc("Description", "Description", Progress.Data.DataType:CHARACTER).

fixed code:
    @VisualDesigner.FormMember (NeedsInitialize="false", InitializeArray="true").
    def var arrayvar2 AS Progress.Data.ColumnPropDesc EXTENT 2 NO-undo.
    arrayvar2[1] = new Progress.Data.ColumnPropDesc("SipServerGUID", "SipServerGUID", Progress.Data.DataType:CHARACTER).
    arrayvar2[2] = new Progress.Data.ColumnPropDesc("Description", "Description", Progress.Data.DataType:CHARACTER).

Dammit.

Posted by rbf on 30-May-2011 09:02

Julian how did the extra line of code get there?

Posted by jmls on 30-May-2011 09:37

er, ahh, welll, jeeez, not sure that I can remember ...

I'm writing a code generator that creates usercontrol lookups and the

output builder got it's order slightly gronked .. ;(

This thread is closed