Architect and Git

Posted by jmls on 22-May-2011 04:42

Trying (struggling) to set up a project that is comprised of several sub-projects.

My directory structure for the "demo" project is as follows

DotR/MyFiles

DotR/project1

DotR/project2

the demo project uses classes from project1 and project2 (project1 and project2 have no relation or common files) as well as DotR/MyFiles

I was able to do this in subversion by having a repository called demo, with the folder DotR/MyFiles in it, and then adding project1 and project2 as externals

has anyone been able to do this in git ? I've tried looking at subtrees and sub modules, but can't get it to work for me (the sub-project directory is there, but the files are not)

All Replies

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 23-May-2011 06:59

I haven't tried it but in the EGit documentation you can find something on combining multiple .git projects into an eclipse workspace:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide#Creating_a_Git_Repository_for_multiple_Projects

Posted by jmls on 03-Jun-2011 03:00

It must be because I'm tired. Or old. Or both.

Or perhaps just plain stupid.

However, I cannot for the life of me understand how git works with eclipse.

In Subversion, if I wanted to start work on a project that is under control

File->New Project->Import from Subversion->[select project]->Create using wizard->Choose openedge.

Done. Files and folders show with revision numbers, changes are highlighted, team menu works for commit, diff etc

HOW DO YOU DO THIS IN GIT ?

Sorry for shouting. Just sooo frustrated .

People have been banging on about how git/mercurial is so much better than subversion , and as have to do some remote development soon, I thought that it would be a great chance to start using git.

Not liking the process so far ..

Posted by jmls on 03-Jun-2011 03:16

well, there I go again. Posting something about how I can't get this to work, 30 seconds later I get the bloody thing working.

Create the Openedge project as normal, then select team->Share, create new repo, select folder and press ok.

From there you can pull from a remote repo.

Now, how to work out how to get multiple repos per project ...

Posted by Peter Judge on 03-Jun-2011 08:07

You should just have "Cardboard Programmer"[1] as your subject ...

An alternate term for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_duck_debugging

This thread is closed