OEA and blank editor

Posted by jmls on 13-Jun-2011 04:38

In the OEA tools discussion at PUG Challenge Americas, one of the feature requests that got a high vote was for a blank editor so people could "just type code".

There is a way of having this, albeit a bit of a "hack / cheat"

#1 Choose the ABL editor view

#2 OpenEdge->Tools->Customization Editor

#3 Click on the "Menu / Toolbar Entries" option

#4 Press the "add button"

#5 Enter the name as "Editor", the program name as "_edit.p", select "Show on menu and toolbar" , and "Run persistent"

#6 press the save button (on the toolbar)

#7 press the  button at the top right of the "Action Details" panel (refresh customization options"

You should now have a little "OE" button in your toolbar, pressing this drops you straight into an editor.

HTH

Julian

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 13-Jun-2011 05:04

No need for customization... There is always a procedure editor button in the toolbar. Opens current file, the Shift F3 for a new file.

BUT: that's the old editor, without a OE Studio license it has not even color coding.

No real alternative if you ask me.

Posted by jmls on 13-Jun-2011 05:26

yeah, but what people wanted was just to click a button, type some code and run. It's easy to overwrite the selected program if you use the procedure button, and pressing shift-f3 is another keystroke.

as for the colour syntax etc, would be nice, but people just wanted something quick and easy. While progress are building a super-duper colour-coded syntax aware editor console option, this is just a way of saving (at the very least) a keystroke.

hang on - you *were at the OEA exchange* ! you were sitting in front of me Should have complained louder when this was voted #1 !

Posted by Admin on 13-Jun-2011 06:14

hang on - you were at the OEA exchange ! you were sitting in front of me Should have complained louder when this was voted #1 !

I've been requesting this feature since 10.1A beta - so it got my vote

I just don't want to see your workaround in the K Base and never see the fix because there is a way of running just a simple FOR EACH etc.

As long as the new tool is incomplete and Progress will force us to use the old tool (procedure editor) for routine tasks there will never be a huge adoption of OEA. And Progress will keep on having to deal with enhancement requests for AppBuilder for the next decade... A nightmare becoming true.

This thread is closed