OEA & PROPATH

Posted by bronco on 26-Jul-2011 06:55

When I alter my PROPATH thorugh the project-->properties-->OpenEdge-->PROPATH dialog I see my changes in the .propath file in the root of my project. I somehow expected it to work the other way around as well. So if I edit the .propath file i can see my alteration in the ealier mentioned dialog as well. This is somehow not the case. Why not?

restarting either the project or OEA altogether did not help.

Am I missing something?

All Replies

Posted by Anil Kumar on 26-Jul-2011 07:06

Hi Bronco,

The modifications that are done in .propath file are reflected automatically in PROPATH page located under Project Properties page even without restarting the Project AVM /Architect in both 10.2B04 and 11.0 TP4 versions of OEA as well. If i am not wrong, Is that what you are looking into ?

Which version of OpenEdge Architect you are working on ?

Thanks and Regards,

Anil Kumar.

Posted by bronco on 26-Jul-2011 07:30

Hello Anil,

Yes, this exactly what I'm looking for, but somehow this does not happen in my case. I'm on 10.2B04. What might be relevant in this case that I'm using Eclipse 3.6.0 (because of MercurialEclipse).

Thanks,

B

Posted by Matt Baker on 26-Jul-2011 07:30

Changes to .propath are reflected in the project as soon as the changes are saved.  If you close the project and restart OEA and you don't see the change, then you didn't change the right file.

A couple of things to check:

If you are using shared AVM, then make sure you change the .propath file in the workspace, and not the one in the project.  Shared AVM doesn't use the project's .propath file.

Make sure you edited it correctly.  A typo will cause it to reset back to the default propath which is pretty much the standard entries and your project working directory.

Make sure you chanage the file from within one of the Eclipse text editors.  If you change it from outside (like windows notepad or something), then Eclipse won't see the change until it needs sto be read again.  In this case a simple refresh from within Eclipse will pick up the change.

Posted by bronco on 26-Jul-2011 07:39

Aha, changing .propath works correctly if you change it with OEA itself. I was trying to change it with an external editor (so outside OEA). That doesn't work unfortunatly, but at least I have a workaround! This makes me wonder however what happens if I put .propath in version control and get updates (on .propath) from there....

Thanks Matthew and Anil.

Posted by bronco on 26-Jul-2011 07:40

OK, a refresk will do the trick.

thanks.

Posted by Matt Baker on 26-Jul-2011 07:42

It depends on the plugin (I assume you are using some SCC plugin within Eclilpse).  Clearcase doesn't refresh files after it updates them.  It just updates them on the disk.  Bad behavior.  Most of the other ones that I've used behave themselves and notify eclipse of the file change properly so they work fine and OEA plugins get notified and everything works.

You can use an external editor, just make sure you refresh the file (right-click in resources tree and select refresh).

Posted by rbf on 26-Jul-2011 07:43

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

bfvo wrote:

Aha, changing .propath works correctly if you change it with OEA itself. I was trying to change it with an external editor (so outside OEA).

That should work also if you switch on Preferences -> General -> Workspace -> Refresh automatically.

-peter

Posted by bronco on 26-Jul-2011 07:43

MercurialEclipse behaves pretty well...

This thread is closed