Important announcement regarding Linux support for Progress

Posted by holzel on 06-Dec-2011 11:50

Since the release of OpenEdge 11.0 is close at hand and there was an expectation that with OE 11.0 the Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge would be supported on the Linux platform, I wanted to let this community know of a late-breaking decision by the OpenEdge 11.0 release team.

As of this week it  has been determined that Progress OpenEdge 11.0 will NOT include Linux  support for Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge (formerly OpenEdge  Architect) as previously announced.

After  a review of Progress-wide tooling strategies, we have decided to drop  planned new Linux support in our OE 11 release in order to better align  with the tooling platforms of other products in the Progress portfolio.  MS Windows will remain the only supported platform for Progress  Developer Studio.

I know this news is coming out very late in the Beta cycle and I regret any inconvenience that this may cause.

Rob Holzel

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 06-Dec-2011 17:02

holzel schrieb:

Since the release of OpenEdge 11.0 is close at hand and there was an expectation that with OE 11.0 the Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge would be supported on the Linux platform, I wanted to let this community know of a late-breaking decision by the OpenEdge 11.0 release team.

As of this week it  has been determined that Progress OpenEdge 11.0 will NOT include Linux  support for Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge (formerly OpenEdge  Architect) as previously announced.

After  a review of Progress-wide tooling strategies, we have decided to drop  planned new Linux support in our OE 11 release in order to better align  with the tooling platforms of other products in the Progress portfolio.  MS Windows will remain the only supported platform for Progress  Developer Studio.

I know this news is coming out very late in the Beta cycle and I regret any inconvenience that this may cause.

Rob Holzel

As of todays point of view, does dropped from 11.0 mean it might come in 11.1 or it's more likely to come never?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Dec-2011 17:12

MS Windows will remain the only supported platform for Progress  Developer Studio.

Doesn't seem to hold much hope ...

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Dec-2011 17:20

Rob, we understand that supporting an additional platform has some costs in terms of determining which components make sense to support and testing that those components work properly in that environment.  It is certainly possible that there is even some actual development involved, even if all the code involved is Java, particularly in any place that touches the OS, although one would expect that to be more of a startup cost than an on-going one.

But, is there more that is not obvious?  One would think that by this point most of the startup costs had already been incurred and so it was only the on-going QA that would be at issue.  Did you run into some real problems?

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 07-Dec-2011 01:23

>As of this week it  has been determined that Progress OpenEdge 11.0 will NOT include Linux  support for Progress Developer >Studio for OpenEdge

Now i got the answer why i didn't get any answer in Amsterdam as i asked for more information about Linux support.

We are still developing CUI apps for Linux platforms and i was happy to use OE with Linux to run the app directly.

Isn't the first that is canceled just before release ...

BTW: If Windows is the main and only development platform, Progress might create a OE plugin for VisualStudio as it is available for Mono, Delphi and so on ?

Stefan

Posted by Admin on 07-Dec-2011 01:35

marquardt schrieb:

BTW: If Windows is the main and only development platform, Progress might create a OE plugin for VisualStudio as it is available for Mono, Delphi and so on ?

To justify the price (Progress during Development, our need for VS licenses), what would be the benefit of that? Other than a checkbox feature on a data-sheet?

I'm very happy with Eclipse, it's much easier to extend than Visual Studio and there are by far more plugins available.

If you are hoping on a better code completion in the Editor: I doubt that's Eclipses fault. Writing Java in Eclipse has the same - if not better - code completion features than VS for C#. So it's obvious that Progress has a lot of homework to do here. Not the Eclipse ground OEA is based on.

I'd rather have one "perfect" IDE than two that are just working o.k. ... (Rob, Sunil, don't worry, OEA is working a bit better than just o.k.)

Posted by dlauzon on 07-Dec-2011 15:25

By the way, while we are talking about 11.0, it would be great if we would have automatically (according to maintenance license) access to new versions of OpenEdge through Electronic Software Download (ESD) as they come out instead of having to call a Progress staff to have this unlocked each time.

This thread is closed