Custom fonts

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 26-Jan-2012 13:28

I have a legacy application I am looking at which apparently used some custom font setup.   I have the .ini file from the old V9 installation, but I am reluctant to just try to reference that since I suspect it has a lot of other stuff in it that I may not want.  What is the best way to create a project or workspace .ini file for font declarations and whatever else it turns out I need?  This is in the context of 11.0 OEA/PDS.

Never fiddled with this stuff before since I avoid UI.

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 26-Jan-2012 13:31

Create a copy of %DLC110%\bin\progress.ini and past in the section from your old ini as well of the Default..Fonts from the section.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 26-Jan-2012 13:36

Put this in the workspace?   And reference it with -ini xxxx.ini in the AVM startup?

Posted by Admin on 26-Jan-2012 13:41

Put it anywhere YOU want. Really doesn't matter.

I usually put all those ini and pf files etc. in a separate project (not of the OpenEdge nature) .

That way they aren't in the way of source code but I still can check the ini files in and out using the SCM tool plugin.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 26-Jan-2012 13:57

Is the PROPATH set in the project going to override the PROPATH set in the .ini or vice versa?  Or should I just comment out the one in the .ini?

Posted by Admin on 26-Jan-2012 14:06

Forget about PROPATH in INI's for the Project AVM, Shared AVM or run configs. It's all maintained by the settings in the Eclipse dialogs.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 26-Jan-2012 14:13

OK, I added the additional font specifications to a copy of progress.ini, added a -ini pathtoinifile to the startup parameters, restarted the runtime, recompiled, and the missing font specification errors are still there.

What am I missing?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 26-Jan-2012 14:15

I commented out the PROPATH in the .ini for safety.

Posted by Admin on 26-Jan-2012 14:21

I commented out the PROPATH in the .ini for safety.

Not sure, I get this safety aspect. You might want to reuse the ini when running your application from a Desktop shortcut. Then you're pretty screwed without the PROPATH in the INI

Posted by Admin on 26-Jan-2012 14:26

What error messages?

Did you recompile? Usually missing font messages are a compilation error, not a runtime error.

Posted by egarcia on 26-Jan-2012 14:28

Hello Thomas,

You also need need to specify -basekey ini to ensure that you want an ini file, not the registry.

Also, when working with Fonts in a .ini file, make sure that all the sequence of fonts are specified, .i.e. a number is not skipped.

I hope this  helps.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 26-Jan-2012 14:33

It is compile errors that I am trying to eliminate.  Ways to go before I try actually running the app!

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 26-Jan-2012 14:35

Safety in that I don't want the app picking up code from DLC instead of what I have in the workspace.

Not concerned about deployment at this point .... lots and lots and lots of stuff to clean up there.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 26-Jan-2012 14:36

That did the trick, Edsel, thanks.   That got rid of something like 1300 errors!

Posted by Peter Judge on 26-Jan-2012 14:36

You still need -basekey ini on the project's command line (ie the Project properties).

Or you can add the font entries to the registry.

-- peter

Posted by Peter Judge on 26-Jan-2012 14:41

You may want to consider logging a bug for the lack of ability to specify fonts in the OEA launch config and/or project properties. Colours would be another candidate; I'm not sure what else is commonly customised in INI files (others will chime in, I’m sure).

-- peter

This thread is closed