Starting databases

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 14-Feb-2012 19:08

I have a project ... at least I think it was a working project before 11.0 ... which has three databases.  They are defined and associated with the project.  But, when I start the AVM, I am getting

** Could not connect to server for database c:/work..., errno 0. (1432)
** Error starting database server c:/work/...  (-S 50202)

for each of the three databases.  The path name shown is the correct name to reach the databases.  The ports are new.  The log files show no evidence of the connection being started, in fact, no activity at all since 18 December.  I did change the path name from relative to absolute, since I have a vague memory of that being an issue in the past, but no change.  If I test the connection in DB Connections it fails in the same way.  In addition to the above messages on the console I get a popup dialog box .... although it takes a while ... which says the same could not connect message.  If I restart the AVM, I get a message popup which says

java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: [DataDirect][OpenEdge JDBC Driver] Error establishing socket to host and port: localhost:50102.  Reason: Connection refused.

Is that just the SQL connection failing because the server didn't start?

This is probably something simple, but I'm missing it tonight...

All Replies

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 14-Feb-2012 21:21

tamhas wrote:

Is that just the SQL connection failing because the server didn't start?

This is probably something simple, but I'm missing it tonight...

Because the broker didn't start, would be my guess; I assume the SQL is your secondary broker.  First I would check the broker ports, make sure no other processes are bound to them before you start the DBs.  And have you specified minport and maxport on your brokers, or are you using the defaults?  Are the DBs local to you, to do you go through a firewall to get to them?  Can you start them with a simple command-line proserve (with the same params) and connect to them with a Procedure Editor or sqlexp?  If so, that eliminates possible network conflicts like the above.

When you say "no evidence at all since 18 December", is that in the database log files, or your client logs?  Are your DBs actually running right now?  I'm not clear on that.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 14-Feb-2012 21:42

These are itty bitty databases with schema and essentially no data, entirely personal.  I have them marked for start and stop as I go in and out of Eclipse.  They are in the same directory as the workspace.

Very, very, very simple ... except the not working part.

Posted by gus on 15-Feb-2012 08:41

In one error message I see "-S 50202" and in the other I see "Error establishing socket to host and port: localhost:50102.  Reason: Connection refused." Different port numbers so there is some inconsistency in configuration.

BTW: "Connection refused" is a socket library connect() error that normally means there is nobody listening for connections on the specified IP address and port. Looks like the server is listening on a different port.

Posted by robw@hltool.com on 15-Feb-2012 09:19

I also have difficulties autostarting these small single-user DBs, from within Architect v 10.2B05.  It has to do with how they're setup in the project's properties - db connection .

To debug - when you start up Architect - in task manager you should see an _mprosrv.exe for each db that autostarts.  And yes I'm aware it's PDS now for v11.

If you use Process Explorer from sysinternals (via Microsoft now) you can see the Command Line details, which is very helpful for debugging this.

Mine lists "c:\dlc102b\bin\_mprosrv.exe -m 1 "c:/work/db/hltool" -N TCP -S 50004 -ipver IPV4

this connection "hltool" works fine but another one does not start.  This happens to me alot and when I'm offsite and needs these local db's I usually open a command prompt + start using proserve -S .

Then I can use it fine.  Annoying but functional.  I don't use my laptop often enough to really dig into it.

When I look at the Openedge - Database COnnections "browse" - (yours is likely worded differently with v11) - I can see my Auto-start Server is set to false and has no Server Parameters.

My working db has Auto-Start Server set to true and server parameters = -db c:\work\db\hltool.db -S 50004.  Also auto-stop server is set to false for the nonworking db.

So I modified the entry.  It's not the first page of the connection profile that needs editing, or the 2nd - sql connection properties - but the 3rd -

autostart db server [x] -

phsyical name is set ok -

add service/port = 50002 -

auto-shutdown db server [x]

when I finish - the browse has the settings the way I want them, which basically mimic the working db settings.

click ok to save - my project AVM restarts and now I get an "ok" for these dbs + can access all my db's again.

Your problem may be the same, or since it was working before - you just need to "view all" db connection in your project properties and make sure you have the proper db's toggled on for that project.

My problem was I was tweaking the sql connection properties and expecting that to make a difference.  Hopefully my process here will get you looking it the right spot to fix you up as well.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 15-Feb-2012 10:51

I started out with the 100 series and changed to the 200 series as one of my early attempts to get it working.  I didn't realize that I had to edit the SQL connection too since I was now reusing an existing connection ... makes sense, now that I think about it.  So, I have now changed the SQL connection to match and the SQL error has disappeared, but the databases are still not starting.  No lk file, no messages in the .lg, no connection to server.

I should have mentioned that I have another project in this same workspace which has its own DB and that one starts fine.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 15-Feb-2012 12:34

What are your database broker startup parameters?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 15-Feb-2012 12:38

Default only.  I only want them for the schema.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 15-Feb-2012 12:46

There's something I'm not following, clearly.  Perhaps a better question is, how does the 4GL/SQL configuration of the DB in your working project differ from the configuration of your non-working project DBs?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 15-Feb-2012 12:56

Other than being a different database in a different directory, they look identical to me.

databaseConnection.xml attached (sports not referenced yet)

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 15-Feb-2012 13:15

One difference is that the three I am trying to use now were created with 11.0BETA, but the one that works was created recently with 11.0.

Aha!  Trying to start one manually gives me

OpenEdge Release 11.0 as of Fri Dec  2 19:01:49 EST 2011
11:14:08 BROKER     ** Database has the wrong version number. (db: 4266, pro: 42
69). (44)
11:14:08 BROKER     ** Database has the wrong version number. (db: 4266, pro: 42
69). (44)
11:14:08 BROKER     This broker will terminate when session ends. (5405)
69). (44)
69). (44)
69). (44)
11:14:08 BROKER     ** This process terminated with exit code 1. (8619)
proenv>

So, how do I do a conv11Beta11?

Posted by Peter Judge on 15-Feb-2012 13:23

So, how do I do a conv11Beta11?

>

Dump & load, if you still have the beta bits. There's no built-in util that I'm aware of.

-- peter

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 15-Feb-2012 13:29

So, there is a version change between beta and FCS?   Isn't that unusual?

And, what, exactly, would one use to do the dump .... I shouldn't need to, since I think I have the relevant stuff to build, but isn't there a catch 22 here?

Posted by robw@hltool.com on 15-Feb-2012 13:31

You added your own schema to the sports db?  If not just dump that version and use the one from OE 11.0 proper.

The beta bits may not work anymore because of the date restrictions.  Do you have a good backup on 11.0beta and can restore into 11.0? 

Not sure if that's possible, but  give that a try,

Otherwise you'll have to reinstall your 11.0beta and change the system date.  Fire up data administration and dump .d's and .df's.  Import into 11.0 proper.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 15-Feb-2012 13:44

Like I say, I think I can just recreate these because they are just schema holders and (I think) I have the .dfs.

But, it seems odd to me to have a version change of the DB between beta and FCS.

And, not to have this made highly visible on the beta forum so that people would know to take precautions before installing the released product.

Posted by gus on 15-Feb-2012 14:18

>

So, there is a version change between beta and FCS?   Isn't that unusual?

That is not at all unusual. Furthermore, there have /never/ been converters

to convert from beta to a release. At least, not in the time I have been

here.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 15-Feb-2012 15:33

Then it seems odd not to have big warnings to dump beta databases prior to installing FCS.

Posted by gus on 17-Feb-2012 12:00

Your'e right, there should have been warnings given. I don't recall seeing any.

Apologies.

This thread is closed