How to develop Unix CUI applications with OEA (10.2B05)?

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 22-Feb-2012 08:19

Hello,

i hoped for V11 with Developer Studio for Linux, it was shown 10 seconds in Amsterdam 2011 and then dropped.

Now i am trying to do this with my OEA 10.2B05.

My environment:
Sources (and .r) on G: and H:

On "G:\marquard" is my workspace for the project. Our version control put a copy of a .p files in this directory for editing.

On H:\ are all .p( and .r) in different paths, all paths are .propath file. (at top ROOT = G:\marquard)

First try looks good, database is connect and auto indent is working.
Then i use our version control and got a copy from a .p in my project ROOT dir.

Compiling the .p within my Linux session works as expected, no problems.

But within OEA i get frame errrors like this:

Severity and Description Path Resource Location Creation time Id
**Cannot fit FILL-IN CAM-Rating with AT within FRAME BILD4. (4027) V09.31 akusta.p line 2601 1329915782097 631

Ignoring position info for AT (2054) V09.31 akusta.p line 2601 1329915782097 630

All this errors (exclamation mark) are at the last line (2601) of the .p file, that is "END PROCEDURE".

Why these errors are at the wrong line?
Why do i have this errors only when compiling within OEA?

BTW:

Compiling one .p is very slow, I think the cause is that we use many include files and all files are on a network share.

On Linux terminal session lower than one second, within OEA 14 seconds!

Stefan

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 22-Feb-2012 08:26

Are you using a GUI or TTY runtime for the project AVM?

That's a setting on the project properties. I'd suggest you use a TTY runtime when the code is TTY code. That should solve all the character positioning errors.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 22-Feb-2012 08:48

Hi.

I use the Roundtable TSMS plug-in for this type of development.

My Roundtable server is running on a Linux machine. I have marked the necessary Roundtable workspaces as "Server Compile".

All my compilations happen on the Unix server in the correct environment but I get the benefit of the nicer Eclipse development environment and the RTB plug-in.

The code only leaves the server machine when it is being edited.

Jeff

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 22-Feb-2012 09:21

Mike,

yes, this works perfect - the compile error vanished.

Now i get a new window with blue background labled "Run V09.31".

Any chance to speed up compiling? 14 seconds for one .p file is terrible.

Stefan

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 22-Feb-2012 09:28

Is Roundtable TSMS a feature from Progress and included in the normal development license?

Posted by Admin on 22-Feb-2012 09:31

Any chance to speed up compiling? 14 seconds for one .p file is terrible.

Local source code

DB Schema cache

Faster network

Faster machines

Or follow Jeff's suggestion.

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 22-Feb-2012 09:34

Is there any option to exclude a folder from compile in my workspace (making invisible for compile).

Cause: I have some testcode in subfolders of my root that has nothing to do with my actual project.

Yes - erasing the folders sounds easy but perhaps there is any other option?

Posted by Admin on 22-Feb-2012 09:36

Is Roundtable TSMS a feature from Progress and included in the normal developent license?

Unfortunately not. But your local Progress rep will be happy to provide you with a quote.

Posted by Admin on 22-Feb-2012 09:41

Is there any option to exclude a folder from compile in my workspace (making invisible for compile).

That's a reason to upgrade to OpenEdge 11.

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 22-Feb-2012 10:00

I will give it a try.

Reordering PROPATH reduced the compile time a few seconds but monitoring with procmon shows >200000 event for the compile of one .p.

Perhaps "offline files" could increase it but my harddisk has not sooo much space ...

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 22-Feb-2012 10:07

Hi.

No, it is not included out-of-the-box. It is Software Configuration Management application designed for OpenEdge development that is resold by Progress Software.

We (Tugboat Software) developed the application and are a Technology Alliance Partner with Progress Software.

The functionality I mentioned earlier is one of the benefits.

Jeff

Posted by Admin on 23-Feb-2012 02:23

Might have something like a  'striped-down' version of OEA IDE for Linux ready for beta testing by  the end of the month... won't have all the functionality of OEA, most  will be there but the language syntax will probably be completed on the  way.

What we'll be there in the first version is configurable  project/workspace (buildpath, propath, databases...), support for  multiple and shared run-times (guess as low as version 8 if anyone still  using that), builder an run-time configuration... guess it's obviously  this is based on Eclipse right?

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 23-Feb-2012 03:28

Mike,

reordering PROPATH, putting our 2 folders with include files to the top, copying them with robocopy /mir to a local folder, putting OEA Libs to buttom, disabling "offline folders" reduced the compile time from over 15 seconds to 2 seconds.

Still not perfect but much better, the main time is caused by many includes files that will be searched on the remote ROOT path.

Stefan

This thread is closed