Team Explorer Everywhere

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 10-Mar-2012 16:20

For over half a year we have been using Team Foundation Server for source control. All interfacing (check in / check out etc) is done from the Visual Studio shell.We use a text editor with external syntax checking for writing code.

We do not (yet) use PDS for OE / Architect for development.

Since a few days Team Explorer Everywhere is no longer a separate product so I thought it was time to have another look at it together with PDS for OE (11.0 on Windows 7).

I just do not get it.

I can create an OpenEdge project with (shared) AVM but it has no link whatsoever with TFS.

If, from within my OpenEdge project I attempt to 'import' from 'Team Foundation Server' it creates a new TFS project at the same level as the OE project.

With subclipse I had an OE project with in it a subclipse branch from prolint.

I could create a linked resource from my OE project to the TFS workspace but this just very un-ide-ish and I see no added value over the current way of working.

Is TEE not playing nicely or is PDS for OE not playing nicely? Or am I just not getting it?

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 10-Mar-2012 16:31

Last month I was working with a client using OpenEdge Archictect in 10.2B with TFS.

Played nicely together. Although I cannot give you a lot of details. But they were not using linked resources at all.

Are you versioning the .project files as well, so that Eclipse can recognize the TFS contents as an OpenEdge project?

And make sure, there is no project already in the

Workspace with a competing name / location.

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 10-Mar-2012 16:38

Interesting.

All our sources went to TFS last year, we were not using Architect so no .project files are in TFS.

I did just see that I can 'share' my OE project to TFS (these seems to be the same reverse logic as I ran into with subversion - see prolint link).

So it seems that I will need to grab the contents of TFS, put these into my local workspace under an OE project and then share this back to TFS...

Update:

Yes, create 'OE project' and then from context menu 'Team / Share Project...' allows a TFS location to be indicated. The project files are then shown on the pending changes view.

This looks promising - thanks for the nudge that it can work.

Posted by Admin on 11-Mar-2012 17:02

If, from within my OpenEdge project I attempt to 'import' from 'Team Foundation Server' it creates a new TFS project at the same level as the OE project.

Would make sense when the .project file is not checked in as well.

When you import a project form the Eclipse Team provider it will certainly create a new project (and all projects are at the same level).

When the .project file is missing in the TFS depot Eclipse won't know the project nature and the project will be created as a resource project, not linked to any OpenEdge specific functionality. So you should checkin the .project file to your project root (maybe using the Visual Studio Team Explorer) and try again.

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 11-Mar-2012 19:09

mikefe wrote:

Would make sense when the .project file is not checked in as well.

When you import a project form the Eclipse Team provider it will certainly create a new project (and all projects are at the same level).

When the .project file is missing in the TFS depot Eclipse won't know the project nature and the project will be created as a resource project, not linked to any OpenEdge specific functionality. So you should checkin the .project file to your project root (maybe using the Visual Studio Team Explorer) and try again.

The first part is the whole issue when attempting to adopt something new. It all makes sense when starting from scratch, but how often does that happen?

I have now simplified the 'process' even further, when creating the OpenEdge project, simply point its working directory to your local tfs workspace instead of accepting the default. How hard was that...

The .project and .propath files can then be checked into tfs so a second person can hopefully simply grab the project from tfs directly. I'm not yet sure how the individual settings for local databases / differences in local installations is going to work, but that's something for another day.

Thanks again for the nudges.

Posted by Admin on 12-Mar-2012 00:41

I'm not yet sure how the individual settings for local databases / differences in local installations is going to work, but that's something for another day.

The .dbconnection file stores the names of the connection profiles linked to a project - not the actual settings. But this file should be versioned as well.

The actual settings can be exported to an XML file, when the export and import button in the dialog where you actually configure the DB settings.

You may also check-in and out the parameters used by the project AVM (-E -d dmy -cpstream ...): Project properties -> custom -> share settings

Those settings are written to a project.xml file in the project root.

Posted by jmls on 12-Mar-2012 02:20

once you have a "native" eclipse project created by importing from TFS, try the following

right-click on the project->Configure->Convert to faceted form

select the appropriate OE components and press ok

the project is then converted to an Openedge project

HTH

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 12-Mar-2012 07:19

jmls wrote:

once you have a "native" eclipse project created by importing from TFS, try the following

right-click on the project->Configure->Convert to faceted form

select the appropriate OE components and press ok

the project is then converted to an Openedge project

HTH

Thank you - that looks useful. It does seem to be a new feature of PDS for OE 11.0.

I have now already updated all the projects I need with OE Architect 10.2B using the following steps:

1. get local copy of TFS branch
  2. delete the TFS project (without deleting the project contents on disk) and create a new OpenEdge project using the local TFS location instead of the default location
  3. configure the rest of the OpenEdge project (propath, database connections etc)
  4. 'Team / Share Project...' and share the project to TFS
  5. add the newly created project properties (.project, .propath, .dbconnections) to TFS source control

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 12-Mar-2012 07:21

I have now updated all the projects I need with OE Architect 10.2B using the following steps:

1. get local copy of TFS branch

2. delete the TFS project (without deleting the project contents on disk) and create a new OpenEdge project using the local TFS location instead of the default location

3. configure the rest of the OpenEdge project (propath, database connections etc)

4. 'Team / Share Project...' and share the project to TFS

5. add the newly created project properties (.project, .propath, .dbconnections) to TFS source control

Posted by Admin on 12-Mar-2012 07:32

Stefan,

don't know how TEE looks like but most of SCM Eclipse plug-ins does have an option to create new project from repository... either through a 'new' wizard or from the repository browser view. Then is should be an option to 'check out as a project configured using the New Project Wizard', this should let you create the imported project as OpenEdge project in the first place.

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 12-Mar-2012 07:41

Yes, the option 'Show the New Project Wizard for folders that are not Eclipse projects.' is available when importing a project from TFS. Unfortunately it does absolutely nothing (with OE10.2B and OE11.0)...

This thread is closed