Getting started w Developer Studio

Posted by Jens Dahlin on 29-Nov-2012 05:06

We are finally moving from AppBuilder to Developer Studio. How should we organize things?

We have basically two enviroments today: one graphical client (.w's and .p's) and one transaction server/webspeed (.p's) on two different machines.

Database connections are more or less the same in the two different environments (they can actually differ on a per program basis). Should we handle those environments as two separate workspaces or same workspace with different projects. Or whould we perhaps make one new project per database setup.

Genereally, should workspaces be defined locally (we are two developers doing work in both environments) or shared on the network?

Also, I notice that AppBuilder isn't present under tools any longer. It's available in the Progress 11.1 folder on the Start menu though. Is that expected? I know that is was available in OE Studio 10.2 under Tools -> OpenEdge. (We will still need to maintain our old graphical windows and dialogs.)

All Replies

Posted by robw@hltool.com on 29-Nov-2012 07:17

I'm not a super developer like some here, but I like putting everything in one workspace - on the local drive to improve speed - and splitting up different environments into different projects.

Then I configure each project with its own database connections. I even have one that saves .r to a linux codeshare and another that saves compiles to a windows codeshare.

The shared AVM is not flexible enough for most situations.

You'll want to sync the source code if you have multiple developers at your location. There are quite a few ways to go about that and I'm sure people will chime in on their favorite.

Posted by Peter Judge on 29-Nov-2012 08:12

I'm not a super developer like some here, but I like putting everything in

Are those the devs that wear their undies on the outside of their pants?

one workspace - on the local drive to improve speed - and splitting up

different environments into different projects.

I also follow this approach, FWIW: one workspace per application version, and projects for the components/modules/layers that make up the app.

Then I configure each project with its own database connections. I even

have one that saves .r to a linux codeshare and another that saves

compiles to a windows codeshare.

The shared AVM is not flexible enough for most situations.

Unfortunately true.

You'll want to sync the source code if you have multiple developers at

your location. There are quite a few ways to go about that and I'm sure

people will chime in on their favorite.

There's no excuse these days not to use formal source control, especially in an Eclipse-based IDE, where every source-control-man & his dog (metaphorically) has a plugin.

-- peter

Posted by Peter Judge on 29-Nov-2012 08:12

Also, I notice that AppBuilder isn't present under tools any longer. It's

available in the Progress 11.1 folder on the Start menu though. Is that

expected? I know that is was available in OE Studio 10.2 under Tools ->

OpenEdge. (We will still need to maintain our old graphical windows and

dialogs.)

There's an AppBuilder perspective.

We have basically two enviroments today: one graphical client (.w's and

.p's) and one transaction server/webspeed (.p's) on two different

machines.

More recent versions of PDS:OE can publish to remote servers (app- and web-); I don't remember right now if that's from 11.0 or 11.1 onwards.

Genereally, should workspaces be defined locally (we are two developers

doing work in both environments) or shared on the network?

If you use source control, then you can check in the project artifacts (like .project and .propath files) and have per-developer workspaces. I don't belive that it's possible to share workspaces - there's a single-instance limit that Eclipse enforces.

-- peter

Posted by robw@hltool.com on 29-Nov-2012 08:47

>> Also, I notice that AppBuilder isn't present under tools any longer.

>> It's available in the Progress 11.1 folder on the Start menu though.

>> Is that expected? I know that is was available in OE Studio 10.2 under

>> Tools -> OpenEdge. (We will still need to maintain our old graphical

>> windows and

>> dialogs.)

>There's an AppBuilder perspective.

I migrated from AppBuilder to the AppBuilder perspective in Architect. A big plus for Architect - is that you can split screens if you have multiple monitors and have the AB perspective in one window and use Architect to modify the source directly. So add events using the AB and modify code using Architect.

A warning - it can a little bit sensitive switching between the two perspectives. You have to click on the AB menu to get it to think AB - to add a button or insert an event. Also I've usually had the most success with stripping the AppBuilder markup after importing the source into the Architect workspace.

I really enjoy working in Architect now - but it took me a few months to get really rolling with it. If you find yourself getting bogged down, check Mike Fechner's website or attend one of his user group sessions. It helped me out. (Thanks again Mike!)

Hopefully you will make a smoother transition than I did.

p.s. switch 'PDS' for 'Architect'. I'm still on 10.2B so it's still OEA for me.

Posted by Peter Judge on 29-Nov-2012 08:52

I really enjoy working in Architect now - but it took me a few months to

get really rolling with it. If you find yourself getting bogged down,

You can also learn about what's possible with OEA/PDS by going to the preferences pages (Window > Preferences) and seeing what's tweakable.

check Mike Fechner's website or attend one of his user group sessions. It

helped me out. (Thanks again Mike!)

You can see Mike's slides from his recent PPUG Challenge talk at http://pugchallenge.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=245&Itemid=185 . You'll be missing the demo part, but there's a lot of good content in that deck.

-- peter

This thread is closed