Can you specify specific folder for the Tooling scan?

Posted by jquerijero on 27-Feb-2013 13:31

When building the class cache, is it possible to tell PDS to scan only specific folder instead of all the entries in the PROPATH?

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 27-Feb-2013 14:13

There is a do not compile flag.

Posted by Anil Kumar on 27-Feb-2013 14:43

Hi Joseph,

There is a possibility of not to compile specific set of folders or specific files in Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge (PDSOE) through "Mark Files and Folder non compilable" feature which excludes compiling those set of files during build operation

Is this what you are looking for?

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Anil Kumar.

Posted by jquerijero on 27-Feb-2013 15:14

I mean the process that displays "Initializing Openedge tooling" which I think is the class scan. Also is it possible to store the class cache and manually refresh it instead of being regenerated when PDS starts or after changing project properties?

Posted by ydevatra on 28-Feb-2013 01:23

Hi Joseph,

You are correct, the process that displays "Initializing OpenEdgeTooling" actually build cache for all the ABL resource from your PROPATH. It happens everytime you re-start the PDSOE workbench or changing PROPATH. There is no way to control this behavior.

However this cached information will be useful for quickly access ABL resource information while working on it. Hope this will answer your query.

Thanks

Yogesh

Posted by jquerijero on 01-Mar-2013 10:35

The problem is that the Tooling scan is not always correct because it doesn't seem to finish. I just want to "freeze" PDS when I get a session that can finally open my forms. I normally keep switching the Class Cache from Workspace to PROPATH until my form open in the designer.

Posted by SJProgress on 01-Mar-2013 10:36

Vielen Dank für Ihre Nachricht!

Ich werde ab Mi. 06.03.2013 wieder im Büro sein und Ihre Email-Nachricht bearbeiten.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Josef Siegetsleitner, Easyrent Software Entwicklung

Thank you for your message!

I will return to my office on Wednesday March, 6th and will answer your email then.

Best regards

Josef Siegetsleitner - Easyrent Software Development

Posted by Matt Baker on 01-Mar-2013 20:25

Testing in the past has shown that the speed of the initialize tooling is extremely dependent on the disk I/O.  If you have PROPATH entries on a network drive this will greatly increase the time.

A few things that can help are to ensure you don't have duplicate propath entries, and that r-code is on the local machine.

Remove the .pl and directory entries (especially $DLC/src) you don't need from the PROPATH (make sure you have adecomm.pl as it is needed), the rest can go.  PDS tries to eliminate duplicate entries automatically, but it can't always do.

Use "workspace" only instead of PROPATH for the scanned directories if practical since this will skip scanning entries outside the workspace at the expense of not having everything available to content assist.

Make sure your workspace metadata area is on local disk instead of on network drive since the classcache occasionally updates the .index files in there (this is where everything is cached to skip .pl files in the future if possible).

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 02-Mar-2013 09:00

Matt, that is a well and good in a perfect world but in the real world, it needs to be faster.

Since OE projects *do* allow network shares on the PROPATH, it would be nice to hear the PSC is doing everything they can to ensure performance.

Jeff

Posted by jquerijero on 04-Mar-2013 10:22

Speed is not really my main concern at the moment. It is the fact that I'm getting way too much "Element not found" error even when I have all my source code compiled. I have to switch the Class Cache between Workspace and PROPATH then back to Workspace to get my form to load again.

When my form is loading, I want to freeze the Class Cache, so my form will keep loading.

This thread is closed