help in scratchpad

Posted by jmls on 03-Mar-2013 13:40

Can't beleive that I missed this ... sorry ...

why on earth can't I press shift-f2 in the scratchpad to get the online help for the selected word ?

Aaarrgh.

All Replies

Posted by ydevatra on 04-Mar-2013 00:26

Right now context sensitive help (Shift-F2) is not available for ScratchPad view. We will consider this feedback as input and include it in ScratchPad backlogs.

Thanks for valuable feedback.

Thanks

Yogesh

Posted by Admin on 04-Mar-2013 00:47

Can't beleive that I missed this ... sorry ...

You missed that? ;-)

Posted by Admin on 04-Mar-2013 00:48

We will consider this feedback as input and include it in ScratchPad backlogs.

And while you're at it, pls also include the ability to use the Eclipse workspace file save as dialog as an option to the Windows file save as.

When scratch files become valuable part of the work and you want to save it, it's likely that you want to save it as a workspace resource.

Posted by ydevatra on 04-Mar-2013 02:00

We considered Windows Save As dialog over eclipse workspace Save As, because windows save-as provides flexibility of saving ScratchPad tab content to current workspace as well as to file system.

Posted by Admin on 04-Mar-2013 02:06

We considered Windows Save As dialog over eclipse workspace Save As, because windows save-as provides flexibility of saving ScratchPad tab content to current workspace as well as to file system.

I certainly see that. But the reality is, that most programmers will probably have a project (maybe as part of multiple workspaces) for scratch files. Because that will also provide SCM integration with the team provider.

With the Windows file save as dialog you have to "search" for this central folder whenever you need once of the scratch files. The Eclipse save as dialog get's this all in the warm cosy workspace configuration, once setup, a great help forever.

Posted by jmls on 04-Mar-2013 04:13

I'm always in need of help

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 05-Mar-2013 15:30

How about simply adding all normal editor behavior to the scratchpad editor?

1. ctrl+f for searching
  2. a tab key that tabs
  3. ctrl+z that performs an undo
  4. ctrl+y that performs a redo
  5. a cursor that does not jump to the first line after using ctrl+v to paste

The scratchpad seemed like it would be a great replacement to firing up a prowin32 client - but in it's current state it is too crippled to be any use.

Posted by ydevatra on 06-Mar-2013 06:43

Thank you  for providing valuable feedback. We will consider this as input for backlog grooming.

Thanks

Yogesh Devatraj

This thread is closed