Update Eclipse Platform: Progress splash screen gone

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 22-May-2013 17:04

Menu option 'Help / Check for updates' reported that there were updates available for 'Eclipse Platform'.

After the update, the splash screen shows 'Eclipse Indigo' instead of the Progress Developer Studio splash screen.

The 'Help' menu now shows 'About Eclipse  Platform' instead of 'About Progress Developer Studio'

Eclipse UI elements (like tabs) are now roundish instead of squarish.

1. Is this expected?

2. Have I lost any real PDS functionality?

All Replies

Posted by Ganesh Cherivirala on 22-May-2013 22:15

Yes, it is expected. After updating the eclipse platform, eclipse.ini gets update and it results in the lost of progress splash screen.

Posted by ydevatra on 23-May-2013 00:01

After updating eclipse platform , the Progress Developer Studio's branding get overridden that present in eclipse.ini file. But it doesn't affect PDSOE functinalities you will still see all OpenEdge specific components like perspective, view etc.

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 02-Oct-2014 14:03

Just updated the 4.3.1 Eclipse bundled in 11.4 PDSOE to 4.3.2 and the OpenEdge branding is gone again. The following files 'need' to be 'repaired':

  1. %DLC%\oeide\eclipse\eclipse.ini
    -showsplash
    com.progress.tools.branding
  2. %DLC%\oeide\eclipse\configuration\config.ini
    eclipse.product=com.progress.tools.branding.product
    osgi.splashPath=platform\:/base/plugins/com.progress.tools.branding

These values are all stomped on by the Eclipse Platform updater - which is either very rude, or the OpenEdge customizations have been done on the sly?

Posted by andrew.may on 03-Oct-2014 03:46

Stefan,

I wouldn’t recommend updating Eclipse as it can cause funnies.
I certainly had some issues after updating 11.1’s 3.7.1 Eclipse to 3.7.2
A particular PITA is that an OE Service Pack may refuse to install into eclipse 4.3.2.

We do Java dev in eclipse as well as OE dev, at first we tried to have one Eclipse installation for both, but soon realised that it was best to leave PDSOE alone & have a separate, up-to-date version of Eclipse for all other dev work.

[collapse]
Just updated the 4.3.1 Eclipse bundled in 11.4 PDSOE to 4.3.2 and the OpenEdge branding is gone again. The following files 'need' to be 'repaired':

  1. %DLC%\oeide\eclipse\eclipse.ini
2.  -showsplash
com.progress.tools.branding
  1. %DLC%\oeide\eclipse\configuration\config.ini
4.  eclipse.product=com.progress.tools.branding.product
osgi.splashPath=platform\:/base/plugins/com.progress.tools.branding

These values are all stomped on by the Eclipse Platform updater - which is either very rude, or the OpenEdge customizations have been done on the sly?

Business Computer Projects Ltd is a limited company registered in England and Wales.

Registered number: 1813992. Registered office: BCP House, 151 Charles Street, Stockport, Cheshire SK1 3JY. Tel: +44 (0)161 355-3000. Fax: +44 (0)161 355-3001 Web: http://www.bcpsoftware.com

Disclaimer: This message, and any associated attachment is confidential. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system, do not use or disclose the information in any way, and notify either the sender or Postmaster@BCPSoftware.com immediately. The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not necessarily the views of Business Computer Projects Ltd., unless specifically stated. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that emails and their attachments are virus free, it is the responsibility of the recipient(s) to verify the integrity of such emails.
[/collapse]

Posted by Anil Kumar on 06-Oct-2014 04:07

Hi Stefan/Andrew,

PDS OE 11.4 currently ships and supports only Eclipse 4.3.1 and there is no official support for 4.3.2. In all cases PDS OE' installer (integrateOEArchitect.bat) file will take care of all eclipse specific things (like branding, splash, etc). In case of official support PDS OE's installer will take care of all these things. Since you might have updated the eclipse through Update Site the eclipse got updated however, the customizations from PDS side are lost. However, this should not cause any lose of specific PDS functionality (not tested though).

>> I certainly had some issues after updating 11.1’s 3.7.1 Eclipse to 3.7.2. A particular PITA is that an OE Service Pack may refuse to install into eclipse 4.3.2.

OpenEdge 11.1 ships with 3.6 and supports only 3.7.1. Upgrading from 3.7.1 to 4.3.2 might cause problems in the working environment as there are lot many changes made to Eclipse in 4.x version.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Anil Kumar.

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 03-Aug-2016 14:47

FYI.

11.6.2  upgraded eclipse (by error)  to 4.3.2 and then followed instructions to update ini files, and got it's branding back..

2 or three days using this setup and no problem at all...

This thread is closed