Combining Eclipse 3.4 plugins and 3.7 for Progress Developer

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Sep-2013 14:53

I have a tool which is build on Eclipse 3.4 that I would like to integrate to the same Eclipse instance that I use for my 11.3 installation.  Presumably, I can't just use the option to install into a second instance since the other tool is an older version of Eclipse.   So, I'm guessing that I need to download a virgin copy of 3.7, load the other product into it, then use the install option to add PDS to it.  Yes?

I thought I could just compare the two directory hierarchies to see what is different between them, thus identifying what is unique to the product, then load that into a virgin 3.7, but it seems to me that the directory hierarchies are entirely different.   Under DeveloperStudio 3.7 there is

• eclipse
  • jre
  • uninstall

and under eclipse there is:

• configuration
  • dropins
  • features
  • p2
  • plugins
  • readme

For the 3.4 based product, there is

• bin ( likely extensions for the product )
  • cm
  • config ( seems to have data for several products which are used in the product suite)
  • design ( part of the product, apparently
  • doc (pdfs)
  • eclipse
  • lic ( license data )
  • reports ( as expected )
  • samples ( likewise )

and, under eclipse there is only

• features
  • plugins
  • .eclipseextension (file)

So, do I just want to compare features and plugins and assume the rest goes with the product(s)?

All Replies

Posted by Anil Kumar on 15-Oct-2013 01:23

Hi Thomas,

The folder hierarchy mentioned is not 11.3 (I think it might be 11.2). We do not have ‘DeveloperStudio3.7’ folder in 11.3 installation.

Coming to the other tool (which is built on Eclipse 3.4) installation in the PDS OE eclipse directory, YES this can be installed into a single eclipse directory (say 3.7) if and only if the other tool (mentioned in the post) supports 3.7 version of eclipse.

We have the same folder hierarchy as that of eclipse which is available under eclipse directory in the Developer Studio installation ($DLC -> DeveliperStudio3.7->eclipse : 11.2 and $DLC -> oeide -> eclipse :11.3).

We can isolate the folder comparison(s) of both Developer Studio and the other tool’s eclipse and can directly install using one of the following options:

1) From Help menu in the eclipse IDE

‘Install New Software …’

2) Directly placing the plug-ins in the dropins folder available under eclipse directory (If not available. Please create one in the same directory)

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Anil Kumar.

This thread is closed