Mapping web objects with OpenEdge Architect (based Eclipse I

Posted by Admin on 11-Jan-2007 18:16

Hi there!

I get the 10.1 OpenEdge version running on my local box and I just starting to use the new IDE which is called OpenEdge Architect. Before this new version I used AppBuilder to work my Web Application. The new IDE is pretty cool and handy, so I would like to use it for my Web Development. At this time I can't Connect the IDE to the required databases, set propaths, etc. in a few words: "My new IDE can compile my Web source code". The problem is that I'm using the mapped web objects style, so I can map or link my .w files with the .htm files as I do using AppBuilder. Current AppBuilder version is still supporting mapped web objects. My questions are:

Can I use mapped web objects with OpenEdge Architect (based Eclipse IDE)?

If it is possible, what do I have to do to get my IDE working with mapped web objects?

Will I have to still using the same (ancient) IDE I use to working with?

Thanks in advance! I will appreciate any help

Message was edited by:

Heriberto Campos

All Replies

Posted by egarcia on 05-Feb-2007 09:29

Hello,

This information corresponds to 10.1B assuming usage of a local WebSpeed broker.

Mapped web objects can be used from within OpenEdge Architect when using a WebSpeed broker for the Broker URL. (The internal web broker shows errors.)

The Mapping of .html files is done using the AppBuilder from within OpenEdge Architect. The AppBuilder is launched from the AppBuilder perpective and can be run embedded into the Eclipse environment or external as regular AppBuilder (check the AppBuilder tab in the project perferences). The difference is that editor actions are linked between the AppBuilder and OpenEdge Architect.

You can map the .html files using the AppBuilder's HTML Mapping wizard, then edit the .w file and associated .html file for a mapped web object using the OpenEdge Editor. Since files with .html extension are associated with the OpenEdge Editor, the Check Syntax and Compile options are enabled. If a .w file with the same name as the .html file exists, the .w file is then compiled instead of the .html file.

You can add "html" to the Compilable file extensions in Preferences -> OpenEdge Architect -> Editor -> Build, in order to enable compilation of .html files. Also, the Run Web button would be enabled when a .html is selected. (This would be particularly useful if you are working with mapped Web Objects.)

There is a current limitation in using the Run button from the AppBuilder for a Web Object since it runs in local development mode. Instead, use the Run Web button from the OpenEdge Architect toolbar to run the .html or .w file using the internal web browser.

Some configuration is required:

- Set the PROPATH of the WebSpeed broker to include the project directory or required directory entries.

- Add the required databases to the project at the project properties: Project -> Properties -> OpenEdge -> Database Connections.

- Set the Broker URL at the project properties: Project -> Properties -> OpenEdge -> WebSpeed. It should look like the Broker URL specified in the AppBuilder WebSpeed preferences.

Hope this answers your question.

This thread is closed