messages not outputting to the server log file

Posted by Admin on 12-Aug-2009 12:05

Hi,

Wondering if anyone out there could help me.  I am using a message statement to output the status of a record value of a variable.  In the past when I used messages in the webspeed program the output was placed in the server log file.  For some reason this no longer is happening.

The message is in the main block of the program.  It should display when I open a particular report screen. 

MESSAGE "Test Message 1" available(contact) VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX.

I outputted the message to a text file and it worked, so I don't believe it is a coding issue.  So I wonder if it is some setting I am missing.  I have checked the agent log and it is set to verbose as I would expect.  So by rights the message should be displaying. 

I have also restarted the webspeed broker to try and resolve the issue but to no avail. 
I am at a loss as to what is wrong any suggestion would be appreciated.
S

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 12-Aug-2009 12:57

Check the logging settings for the server.  Specifically the log entry types and logging level settings as these control what goes into the log file.

Posted by Admin on 13-Aug-2009 05:45

Checked this in the ubroker file.

The log level is 3 verbose.  Which is fine.

The log entry type is not set.  However that is the same for all the server and has been that way since it was installed.  So I would be reluctant to alter it as I don't really understand it.  Perhaps if you could possibly explain it briefly. What the levels are and what they do I could consider putting it in.

S

Posted by rbf on 13-Aug-2009 05:49

None of these settings change standard output of your MESSAGE statement.

Your messages should always end up in the server log file.

Reasons I can think of that it does not happen:

- You are redirecting output to somewhere else

- You are not running the program you expect

- You are not looking at the correct server log file

- ?

-peter

Posted by Admin on 13-Aug-2009 09:59

- You are redirecting output to somewhere else

1. This is not the case I verified this by putting a message in the logon screen.  no message showed.

2. I also put the program on our test environment which is a mirror of the development.  The message showed in the server log.

- You are not running the program you expect

3. see 2 above.

- You are not looking at the correct server log file

4. Not the case either because I checked in Progress explorer and the log file location I am looking at is correct.

I think the problem here is the webspeed broker is not registered with the name server.  I think I will need to restart the name server.  I will invetigate further if this the case with our systems admin person.  Thanks for your help.

Posted by Admin on 14-Aug-2009 08:18

There was a problem with the name service.  The name service had a dead UUID for my broker.  So when I tried bouncing the broker the name service could not register the broker.  Restarted the name service and all was okay.  Thanks to all for you help.

This thread is closed