Optimal webspeed configuration (cgi vs isapi)

Posted by Admin on 03-Feb-2011 15:03

I've just migrated a number of websites to IIS7 on win2008r2 and due to a recent increase in users am giving some thought to the performance of the sites.

Currently the webserver uses the CGI messenger to talk to the webspeed broker.  The broker sits on the same server as the DB (Solaris10).

I was wondering:

a) whether performance may be improved by using the ISAPI messenger rather than CGI (no luck in successfully configuring ISAPI yet)

and

b) if there are any other tweaks to the 'out of box configuration' that can improve performance?

Chris

v10.2b02

All Replies

Posted by kevin_saunders on 04-Feb-2011 03:30

a: Sometimes you can see a performance improvement as the ISAPI lives in memory once it has been instantiated the first time. Of course the downside is the web server will need restarting if an issue arises, as it won't unload (and I remember ISAPI having a good few bugs, although i've not used it for some time).

b: None that I am aware of.

Personally, I have never seen/heard of an issue with the cgiip executable loading times. Also, I'm pretty sure 2008R2 has the same feature of Win7 and moves commonly used executables into a sort of cache for better performance (the exact term escapes me at the moment).

Posted by Admin on 04-Feb-2011 08:37

Thanks Kevin.

Had confirmation today that the new server was way outperforming the previous box, so I think I'll leave things as they are.

Posted by kevin_saunders on 04-Feb-2011 09:20

If it ain't broke and all that..

This thread is closed