separation of content , style and webspeed

Posted by jmls on 02-Sep-2011 08:43

Long ago, we used to generate html web pages from webspeed by code that {&OUT}'ed html strings.

Given modern standards (like, only supporting HTML5) , what's the best way of doing this now ?

If I have a table of data to display, is the best way to make this available as json data and get some javascript library to display ?

How do you handle single fields (e.g. "This is  order xx for customer yy") in the html ?

All Replies

Posted by gus on 02-Sep-2011 09:47

Check out the talks given at the last couple of Exchange conferences by Dustin Grau from BravePoint. He also did them at BravePoint VI.

Posted by rbf on 03-Sep-2011 04:32

gus wrote:

Check out the talks given at the last couple of Exchange conferences by Dustin Grau from BravePoint. He also did them at BravePoint VI.

In other words: Ajax.

Posted by jmls on 03-Sep-2011 05:45

I presume that you use javascript to change the text contents of

certain elements within the dom ?

On 3 September 2011 10:32, Peter van Dam

Posted by rbf on 03-Sep-2011 05:48

Yes that is what Ajax is all about.

Check out www.futureproofsoftware.com for a primer on the subject.

Posted by jmls on 03-Sep-2011 05:55

thanks. so, ajax combined with css can cater for most of the html elements now.

Thanks for the link.

On 3 September 2011 11:48, Peter van Dam

Posted by Admin on 05-Sep-2011 03:55

Unsubscribe

Posted by CyrixInstead on 11-Oct-2011 08:43

I'd move over to using eScript (www.proaxima.com) to seperate bsuiness logic & UI.

As for the table question... well you still want to output it as a table. Are you talking about how to populate the table? Yes Ajax is something you can use, and with eScript you can write your HTML and use functions to return the contents in each cell. Rather than writing PROGRESS code to output HTML, you write HTML and put Progress functions in there to return data you wish to output.

~Ian

This thread is closed