Java Exception

Posted by Jens Dahlin on 22-Nov-2011 09:36

After installing 10.2B05 on SuSe Linux i get Java Exceptions whenever I try to run any WebSpeed related command.

proenv>wtbman -name wsbroker1 -start

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.progress.common.util.acctAuthenticate.add37(acctAuthenticate.java:503)
        at com.progress.common.util.acctAuthenticate.add37(acctAuthenticate.java:539)
        at com.progress.common.util.acctAuthenticate.getValue(acctAuthenticate.java:629)
        at com.progress.common.util.acctAuthenticate.generatePassword(acctAuthenticate.java:637)
        at com.progress.common.util.acctAuthenticate.clientGeneratePassword(acctAuthenticate.java:893)
        at com.progress.common.util.acctAuthenticate.generatePassword(acctAuthenticate.java:292)
        at com.progress.ubroker.tools.UBCmdClient.main(UBCmdClient.java:466)

Adminserver gives a similar error:

proenv>proadsv -start
OpenEdge Release 10.2B05 as of Tue Sep  6 14:17:06 EDT 2011
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.progress.common.util.acctAuthenticate.add37(acctAuthenticate.java:503)
        at com.progress.common.util.acctAuthenticate.add37(acctAuthenticate.java:539)
        at com.progress.common.util.acctAuthenticate.getValue(acctAuthenticate.java:629)
        at com.progress.common.util.acctAuthenticate.generatePassword(acctAuthenticate.java:637)
        at com.progress.common.util.acctAuthenticate.clientGeneratePassword(acctAuthenticate.java:893)
        at com.progress.common.util.acctAuthenticate.generatePassword(acctAuthenticate.java:292)
        at com.progress.chimera.adminserver.AdminServerType.main(AdminServerType.java:1042)

This is a brand new machine so I never tried running WebSpeed before patching. On another machine (also Suse Linux) I run 10.B04 without problems. As far as I can tell the two machines are quite similar. Both have JRE 1.5 installed.

Any thoughts? Were can I start looking? I get no errors in any OpenEdge related logs.

All Replies

Posted by egarcia on 22-Nov-2011 09:50

Hello Jens,

There was an issue like this for the AdminServer where based on the stacktrace the problem was an issue resolving the hostname.

The solution for that case was to add the hostname to the /etc/hosts file.

Is the  machine using a fixed IP address and not DNS?

Using DNS would solve the issue.

If you cannot use a DNS, then you would need to make sure that the host name is specified in the /etc/hosts file and
in /ec/sysconfig/network.

Example:
/etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.123.3 mymachine.com mymachine

There was also a report about long host names causing issues but it would produce a different exception.

I hope this helps.

Posted by Jens Dahlin on 22-Nov-2011 10:01

Thank you!

Changing to a shorter name solved the problem!

This thread is closed