Syntax Error: Font 41 not in font set

Posted by Admin on 05-Sep-2006 14:22

v10.1a

I'm getting an error "Font 41 not in font set." while checking syntax on an existing .w file in OE Architect. I've added registry entries to HKEY_CURRENT_USER & HKEY_CURRENT_MACHINE for fonts 40 through 42 as needed by the .w

What else do I need to do to get the file to compile?

TIA,

Rob

All Replies

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 05-Sep-2006 14:25

Rob -

questions like this are better addressed to either PSC Tech Support, or the Progress Email Group (www.peg.com).

Tim Kuehn

Posted by Admin on 05-Sep-2006 14:32

Hmmm...sure, I'll do that. But I'm not sure why it's more appropriate to go someplace else to ask a simple question like this??? Peg.com? What's that?

Progess newbie: Redirected and baffled again...

Rob

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 05-Sep-2006 14:46

The PEG (Progress Email Group) is an on-line user's group and hosts a large number of long-time Progress users and developers.

Questions like you're asking here'll often be answered by people who've done what you're trying to do in very quick order. It provides an place that's independent of PSC for users to go and discuss things with.

To subscribe to mailing lists: http://www.peg.com/lists/subscribe.html

To search past discussions: http://www.peg.com/search.html

It is a user supported forum, but at $75 for the initial subscription and $45 / year to renew, it's worth it many times over.

Why there and not PSDN? PSDN isn't setup for tech-support type issues - that's what their Tech Support group is for.

So far PSDN's been more of a forum where PSC can interact with it's customers and users on their current and future directions, policy, licensing, and other "meta" topics that don't fit under Tech Support or the PEG.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 05-Sep-2006 14:51

Nothing wrong with asking this question here, but the volume of people reading on PEG is much higher. PSDN is great for issues where you want the participation of PSC staff -- architecture, policy, wish list, etc., but there are lots more people reading PEG, most of whom are people up to their elbows in real world development, so it is a great place for "how do I" and "what does it mean when" and "what's wrong if" questions. That type of question can work here too, but you are dipping into a smaller pond, so a faster response is likely on PEG.

PEG = Progress E-Mail Group, a world wide user group operating via e-mail.

Posted by svi on 05-Sep-2006 16:10

Are you using the AppBuilder hosted with OpenEdge Architect and setting fonts?

Have you run ini2reg of your INI file to update the registry?

I'd suggest contacting Technical Support. I've done a quick search and found a bug about fonts settings not being updated in the registry. That bug was fixed in 10.0A01 and 10.0B. Technical Support will be able to quicly check your case against that one.

Posted by Alon Blich on 06-Sep-2006 01:15

I agree with the guys. But for your question.

Make sure all fonts 0 to 42 are defined. From what I remember Progress stops if there are gaps in the list.

And, of course, as mentioned it would be a good practice to keep your registry settings in sync with an .INI file or skip the registry and go strait to an INI file all together.

Posted by Admin on 06-Sep-2006 09:09

I have submitted the case to Progress and the tech is checking into the problem.

And, of course, as mentioned it would be a good

practice to keep your registry settings in sync with

an .INI file or skip the registry and go strait to an

INI file all together.

How do I configure my OEA project to use my ini file?

TIA,

Rob

Posted by Alon Blich on 06-Sep-2006 10:09

Well, unfortunatley I don't have OEA, let's meet up in five years when I'll have access to one

But you can use INI2REG to update the registry from an .INI file. We can handle where to set the VM startup parameters from OEA later.

The first thing you should try is defining all the font entries from 0 to 42, before trying fixes back and forth or before we call up tech support.

Make a copy of the progress.ini file in %dlc% (installation directory) to your working directory.

FILL all the font entries from 0 to 42 or upto to highest value you're planning to use. Without any gaps ! Maybe even post the section here.

Run the %dlc%\bin\ini2reg.exe and select the progress.ini file you've prepared in your working directory. See if that fix works ?

Posted by Admin on 06-Sep-2006 11:08

Thanks for your help Alon, that fixed it.

Perhaps it's a good thing that you have to wait a while before having access to OEA...it is not in a very stable state right now, and the integration with AppBuilder is somewhat clunky. I can see the vision but it has not been implemented in this release. I'll be very happy when the (hopefully native) .Net integeration for GUI has arrived. Actually... A Progress ABL to CLR compiler for Visual Studio .Net would be ideal

BTW. I sent the problem description to peg@peg.com yesterday and it was not posted until today...do you know if the delay is caused because I'm not a paid member or is that the normal lag time?

Thanks again,

Rob

Posted by Admin on 06-Sep-2006 11:10

Thanks for your help Alon, that fixed it.

Perhaps it's a good thing that you have to wait a while before having access to OEA...it is not in a very stable state right now, and the integration with AppBuilder is somewhat clunky. I can see the vision but it has not been implemented in this release. I'll be very happy when the (hopefully native) .Net integeration for GUI has arrived. Actually... A Progress ABL to CLR compiler for Visual Studio .Net would be ideal

BTW. I sent the problem description to peg@peg.com yesterday and it was not posted until today...do you know if the delay is caused because I'm not a paid member or is that the normal lag time?

Thanks again,

Rob

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Sep-2006 11:32

Actually... A Progress ABL to CLR compiler for Visual Studio .Net would be ideal

But, not very easy to achieve, given all of the services provided by the Progress runtime.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 06-Sep-2006 11:36

That's completely out of character - I generally get posts back from there w/in 5 min of sending it in.

Posted by svi on 06-Sep-2006 12:07

Rob,

If you have not already, for questions like this you may want to give it a try with the Progress Knowledge Center:

http://progress.atgnow.com/esprogress/categoryBrowse.do

HIH

Posted by Admin on 06-Sep-2006 12:49

Hi Salvador,

I first checked the KB and found the article that described the need to add fonts to the Registry. After adding the fonts I still had the problem.

I also posted a message to the PEG (as suggested) and submitted a support issue to Progress. The PEG message was delayed a day but was answered quickly one it got there...still haven't got a resolution from Support (don't need it now).

Personally, I think this is a great place for questions like this...but, I'll be a good Progress citizen and, in the future, will use the well-worn channels of communication that exist within this culture.

Thanks all,

Rob

Posted by svi on 06-Sep-2006 12:57

If you cannot find the information you need, by all means, feel free to post here. And Welcome to Progress!

Salvador

Posted by Alon Blich on 07-Sep-2006 03:37

Looking back a few posts, we haven't been very welcoming. We mean well, we're just passionate about what we do

Do whatever you feel like, oh, and welcome to Progress !

This thread is closed