What will it take to get a dynamic browse in ChUI?

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 16-Jun-2006 08:28

At the last Exchange the request was made for a "use-case" for dynamic browses in ChUI.

My question is basically - why isn't the same "use-case" for GUI not the same "use case" for ChUI?

What would it take to get PSC to get this in the language?

All Replies

Posted by svi on 20-Jun-2006 14:43

From a "use-case" perspective you're probably right.

The "business-cases" to justify allocation of resources are different.

I heard your request at Exchange and I've received some direct correspondence as well. Other stuff discussed at Exchage would seem to have higher priority by the attendees, however. I'll keep looking into it.

Salvador

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 20-Jun-2006 14:53

So, it's a "business case" question rather than a "use case" one...

I presume that means the question then becomes what else is on the PSC plate that's ahead of the dynamic ChUI browse. Is part of the problem that making a dynamic ChUI browse would be extremely resource intensive?

What if we change the goals - instead of going for making it all dynamic, would it be more feasible to make the current static browse more adjustable? Such as being able to change column labels, column definitions, column orders, attaching an arbitrary query to a browse, etc. If making the browse absolutely dynamic requires too much work, making it partially adjustable would be a step in the right direction.

Something else that would be helpful would be to have a listing of the various things asked for at the Exchange info exchanges, some discussion, and relative ranking in terms of approximate resources to implement them, and assigned priority.

Posted by Admin on 20-Jun-2006 15:22

Salvador,

As was discussed on a recent PEG thread, the number of hands raised at an Info Exchange isn't necessarily a good gauge of developer interest. Having said that, at the 2005 Info Exchange about 75% of the audience responded when Arthur Fink raised the same issue.

From an AP perspective, both the "use case" and the "business case" are fairly clear, since we aren't (directly) writing the check for the developer resources to make it happen.

One of the major benefits to a cross platform/cross UI dynamic browse would be to render repository-based UIs in multiple environments at run time. Progress's own repository-based system, Dynamics, would benefit greatly from a ChUI dynamic browse. If there are still any Dynamics advocates left at tPC, maybe they can help build the "business case" from a Progress perspective.

- Chris Morgan

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 21-Jun-2006 17:49

You might want to check out the Dynamic ChUI and related threads on the PEG. I have been trying to cajol the proponents of this feature into writing a good use and business case, but in the process of their protesting that it shouldn't be necessary, they have come up with a number of points including:

*) Quite a few people have products where they need to support both GUI and ChUI and the lack of a dynamic browse in ChUI not only implies having to maintain separate code sets, but it means reduced functionality in the ChUI version. Tom Bascom's ProTop is one example where he has resorted to a rather horrid kludge to semi-imitate it.

*) There are a huge number of users still on ChUI who aren't going away soon ... indeed, it is a Progress strength that we still have a ChUI answer. There is stlll a lot of development for these applications and dynamic components allow generic code, significantly reducing maintenance and development costs. In a number of cases, one just can't really get the job done well any other way.

If this is a really huge task, then it might be hard to get it to compete with all the other work in the queue, but it does seem like the language is already there and so is the display engine, one just needs to connect them dynamically. Have you asked for an estimate of what it would take? Perhaps it would turn out to be so little that you could slip it in

Posted by Alon Blich on 30-Jun-2006 04:25

By now its grown into such a big, well known case its a PR issue.

Add this to the business plan, be good to your users.

Theres a long list of basic features, holes in the platform that need to filled and go a long way in alienating developers.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 22-Sep-2006 07:34

Sal,

What's the status? You mentioned that you were "working on it"...

Posted by svi on 25-Sep-2006 22:37

It is in the list of features candidates for the next feature release after 10.1B. I cannot give you more details yet, the candidates have not been signed off.

Salvador

Posted by ChUIMonster on 26-Sep-2006 13:06

Thanks for the update. Keep the information flowing!

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 26-Sep-2006 17:04

It is in the list of features candidates for the next

feature release after 10.1B. I cannot give you more

details yet, the candidates have not been signed

off.

Salvador -

Thanks for the update. Can you let us know what happens with this whenever a decision is made one way or another?

Thanks!

Tim Kuehn

Posted by svi on 26-Sep-2006 17:09

Sure. It will still take sometime though. Should I not get back to you I am sure I can count on your ping.

Salvador

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 26-Sep-2006 18:05

Sure. It will still take sometime though.

Any idea what "sometime" might entail? I understand post 10.1B, but would it be a lot beyond that?

Should I not get back to you I am sure

I can count on your ping.

Add that to the list of things that are certain in life.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 28-Dec-2006 19:00

Sure. It will still take sometime though. Should I not get back to you I am sure I can count on your ping.

Salvador

Speaking of "ping"s, how's it going? Will 10.1C support dynamic ChUI browses? 10.1D? Anything you can share with us?

Posted by svi on 03-Jan-2007 10:29

Still working on it. The list for 10.1C is not signed-off yet.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 03-Jan-2007 10:36

Maybe you could share the list and we could give you some feedback before it's too late?

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 03-Jan-2007 17:28

Still working on it. The list for 10.1C is not

signed-off yet.

Signed off or not, is Dynamic ChUI browses on it?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 03-Jan-2007 17:34

Speaking of lists, one of the things I remember from the very first Exchange ever was that PSC passed out a list of possible enhancements and took votes. They then delighted everyone by tallying them and announcing how many of the requested features were already in the forthcoming release.

It would be an interesting poll to compile these days...

Posted by svi on 04-Jan-2007 08:09

Yes, it is.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 04-Jan-2007 08:26

Yes, it is.

Glad to hear it!

Is there anything in the works about no-index?

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 28-Mar-2007 13:56

Still working on it. The list for 10.1C is not

signed-off yet.

PING!

Is dynamic chui browses on the list for 10.1C?

Posted by ChUIMonster on 28-Mar-2007 15:00

My sources tell me that we have a new product manager.

I'll bet you a beer that we have a new list now.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 28-Mar-2007 15:08

My sources tell me that we have a new product

manager.

Mine too.

I'll bet you a beer that we have a new list now.

And what's on that list is what I want to know...

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Mar-2007 15:14

I think it unlikely that the 10.1C list was materially changed by the shift in personnel. I'd be more concerned by the education that you have put into the prior manager and how well that was passed along.

Posted by Simon Epps on 29-Mar-2007 09:11

Hi,

The 10.1C lists remains the same (for now anyway- beer bribes are accepted) and Dynamic browse ChUI support is most definitely still a strong contender.

The 10.1C feature set is still not locked down at this time but once all of the timeline estimates are in we will be able to determine what in and what's out.

Simon Epps

Product Management

Posted by ChUIMonster on 29-Mar-2007 09:15

Consider yourself bribed. To whatever degree is necessary

When would you like to accept delivery?

Posted by Simon Epps on 29-Mar-2007 09:25

I'll see you at Exchange then

Simon

Message was edited by:

Simon Epps

Posted by ChUIMonster on 29-Mar-2007 09:34

Oh yes. Definitely. I'm looking forward to it!

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 29-Mar-2007 10:20

The 10.1C lists remains the same (for now anyway-

beer bribes are accepted)

Consider it done.

and Dynamic browse ChUI

support is most definitely still a strong contender.

Excellent!

There's been a number of cases I was looking at an application and couldn't do something that would give the users what they needed because I couldn't compose a browse on the fly.

The 10.1C feature set is still not locked down at

this time but once all of the timeline estimates are

in we will be able to determine what in and what's

out.

Is no-index in there somewhere as wel?

This thread is closed