64-Bit R-Code Portability

Posted by Alon Blich on 27-May-2007 15:31

Hello Guys !

There was a recent alert notification with a KB entry on 64-bit r-code portability.

From the KB entry -

I'm guessing it means -

If on a 64-bit OS, you can either buy/install 32-bit or 64-bit OpenEdge product.

If on a 32-bit OS, you can only buy/install 32-bit OpenEdge product.

And 64-bit r-code can only run with a 64-bit product.

And 32-bit r-code can only run with a 32-bit product.

I'm hoping it means -

If on 64-bit OpenEdge product you can either run 32-bit r-code or 64-bit r-code.

If on 32-bit OpenEdge product you can only run 32-bit r-code.

I'd also be interested in compilation portability ?

Anyway to compile 64-bit r-code with a 32-bit product, and vice-versa ?

Thanks

All Replies

Posted by Alon Blich on 01-Jun-2007 05:53

deleted

Posted by Admin on 26-Jul-2007 15:11

I'm also interested in the questions you've posted here.

What do you mean by deleted? That your questions are answered?

I'm currently in a decision phase on migrating to 10.1B and from 10.1 Progress comes with native 64 bit, which has made it impossible to have a universal .r code.

My mixed environment (HPUX Sparc 64bit using Appserver + client-server from Wintel 32 bit clients) with 800MB of .r code has been accessible using nfs. End of story I guess...

Do you know if it's possible to install the 32bit product on a 64bit machine?

Posted by Alon Blich on 26-Jul-2007 18:50

If you're asking whether a 32bit client can talk to a 64bit server product. They can, no problem there.

If you're asking whether you can install a 32bit product on a 64bit platform, OS. Yes you can, as always.

What you cannot do is run 32bit r-code on a 64bit product and vice-versa.

32bit products can only run 32bit r-code; and

64bit products can only run 64bit r-code.

Which would mean you'll need to separate or make two copies of your r-code dir, for 32bit and 64bit.

Posted by Admin on 27-Jul-2007 03:05

Probably need to ask TechSupport if they support the 32bit product when it's installed on a 64bit server.

Although I read somewhere in the Knowlegde Center that the 32bit product isn't supported on Itanium.

We plan to migrate next year to HPUX-Itanium so only real long term strategy that remains is compiling twice...

Posted by Alon Blich on 27-Jul-2007 03:53

Probably need to ask TechSupport if they support the 32bit product when it's installed

on a 64bit server.

Yes. That's what I said and, I believe, has always been the case.

I'd pass it by tech support, also take a look at the product availability guide.

Although I read somewhere in the Knowlegde Center that the 32bit product isn't

supported on Itanium.

I also remember hearing or reading about it somewhere.

We plan to migrate next year to HPUX-Itanium so only real long term strategy that

remains is compiling twice...

What I would be interested to know is if it's worth the trouble ? how big of an overall improvement it is ?

The biggest performance bottleneck is always going to be queries which seem to be long forgotten.

I wouldn't say 64bit optimization is the last thing on the list, especially when it breaks portability but it certainly feels like we're missing the point when it comes to performance.

I guess it wouldn't hurt too much since we'll all be running on 64bit platforms in a few years.

I think, a scheme that doesn't break r-code portability was tried in r10.0 that turned out to be even slower then 32bit at times.

Posted by Tai Li on 07-Nov-2016 02:53

Sorry for reviving this dead thread.

If you're asking whether a 32bit client can talk to a 64bit server product. They can, no problem there.

Can an AppServer (64-bit) executes 32-bit r-code?

Thank you.

Regards,
Tai Li

Posted by Mike Fechner on 07-Nov-2016 03:10

In recent versions …. Absolutely YES.

Posted by Frank Meulblok on 07-Nov-2016 04:07

Where "recent" means OpenEdge 11.0 and later, where we're back to a single r-code format. 

10.2B08 is still widely in use, and still has the 32-bit vs 64-bit 

See also http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/P124103

This thread is closed