How Unix machine communicate with Windows machine ?

Posted by Admin on 17-Dec-2007 06:48

All Replies

Posted by ChUIMonster on 17-Dec-2007 08:54

What resources are available? What constraints do you have?

One option would be to use sockets. Another would be Sonic. Or you might map a drive between the windows box and the unix server. A really good replacement for FTP would be the SSH/SFTP/SCP suite. It's much easier (and more secure) to code file transfers with.

There are any number of ways that this could be done but without any idea of what you have available in your environment it is hard to make a useful suggestion.

Posted by Admin on 17-Dec-2007 09:40

AppServer is another option.

Posted by Admin on 19-Dec-2007 03:03

Thanks for the reply.

I think we can go for mapping the drive b/w Unix & Window server. But Could you please tell me how to do it.

Thanks.

Posted by Admin on 19-Dec-2007 03:04

Could you please clarify me how Appserver could be the option to transfer the file.

Thanks.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 19-Dec-2007 08:28

Samba is a pretty simple and straight-forward way to map drives between windows and unix. Any competent sys admin should be able to arrange it. If you need more info on samba go to http://www.samba.org/ or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_(software)

Posted by Admin on 20-Dec-2007 03:05

using output parameters. MEMPTR is one option, Temp-Table with a BLOB another one.

Posted by Admin on 26-Dec-2007 06:20

Hi,

How can we transfer the image from windows to Unix using socket programming.

Ramesh

Posted by ChUIMonster on 26-Dec-2007 10:07

If you want it done for you try hiring an experienced 4GL socket programmer.

If you want to do it yourself check out knowledge center entries 19881 & 19882.

Posted by Admin on 26-Dec-2007 11:26

So why don't you generate the HTML on the client as well? Or use a proper web server (probably apache on unix) to serve the HTML. You can upload the images to the WEB-server by using the 4GL socket mechanism. There is probably some code out there that implements the HTTP/FTP protocols in 4GL.

This thread is closed