OUTPUT THROUGH unform creates defunct processes

Posted by bjorns on 14-Feb-2008 19:01

We are running a Progress App, OE 10.1B03 on AIX 5.3. The printing is sometimes routed through a third party software called Unform (7.0.13) using the OUTPUT THROUGH statement. In our case Unform will send output to a printer and, through a "sub job" a copy to a pdf file.

However, most of the time when Unform is called using the OUTPUT THROUGH statement a defunct process is created. The defunct process is the child of the running Progress process. If I repeatedly run the statement the defunct process will go away sometimes. Running the statament again a couple of times will bring the defunct back.

I've snipped the offending statement out of the app and am running it in the OE procedure editor.

OUTPUT STREAM erpt THROUGH uf70c VALUE('-f defunct.rul -p pdf > /tmp/junk.pdf.

When i exit the editor the defunct process goes away...

For those of you familiar with Unform. I have cut down the rule file to allmost nothning.

I've also created a shell script that pretty much runs the same Unform command as the OUTOUT THROUGH statement does. The shell script does not exit immediately but waits for user confirmation.

cat 95SOMETHINIG.txt | uf70c -f defunct.rul -p pdf > /tmp/junk.pdf

The shell script does not create a defunct process.

Is there a bug in OE 10.1B on AIX or in Unform?

TIA for any clues!

All Replies

Posted by bjorns on 15-Feb-2008 14:35

It seems like using the -o option with Unform helped. It prevents the output from being passed through stdout.

This thread is closed