Add Table .df automated import

Posted by Admin on 07-May-2008 11:52

Hello, I am attempting to automate the import of a .df file and am having troubles. I have tried to open a .df file in the editor and check the syntax and it always comes back incorrect. Is there something I need to add or another way to open it that still leaves it open to be automated? Any help or advice that anyone can give will be appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Jonathan,

SKF USA.

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 07-May-2008 12:39

A .df code is not ABL code so of course it wouldn't pass a syntax check. A .df is a proprietary DDL code which needs to be read by an ABL procedure. There are procedures to do this in the data dictionary code and you can use those to automate the application of an incremental .df. I haven't done that in a while so I will leave it to someone else to point you to the specific routine, but it isn't terribly hard to find it if you unpack the DD procedure libraries and start poking around. Just make sure that you don't have a queasy stomach when you start or the dictionary code might push you ober the top.

Posted by svi on 07-May-2008 12:47

Check out the Knowledgebase:

ID: 15884

Title: "How to programmatically dump and load database definitions (.df's) and data (.d's) files using Data Administration routines ?"

http://tinyurl.com/4vjtp4

Posted by Admin on 07-May-2008 13:09

Thank you both for your help! I I should be able to get it right now!

This thread is closed