Protected Temp-tables

Posted by jmls on 23-Jun-2008 05:20

I have a class (A) which defines a protected temp-table.

Class (C) inherits (B) which inherits (A)

I have recompiled all the application, including all the classes.

I am getting an error when trying to instantiate (C)

"Inherited temp-table TTFoo and its protected temp-table TTFoo do not match (12767)"

12767 says:

inherited temp-table do not match. (12767)

If a derived class is compiled against a super class that has a PROTECTED temp-table that is referenced in the derived class, and subsequently gets executed against a different version of the super class where the temp-table has changed, you may get this message if the column datatypes, extents, positions, or indexes have been changed.

Now, I know that the temp-table itself hasn't changed, so what could be the problem ?

I have found that if I change a field's position in the temp-table and recompile Class A, then sometimes the error does go away.

10.1C01 win32

All Replies

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 23-Jun-2008 07:45

jmls wrote:

Now, I know that the temp-table itself hasn't changed, so what could be the problem ?

I have found that if I change a field's position in the temp-table and recompile Class A, then _sometimes_ the error does go away.

This may be related to the problem with "order" sequenced fields not being the same as the field's "rpos" ordering resulting in RAW-TRANSFER's failing.

Does the code use an include file to define the TT? If not, are the TT field definitions in the same order in all the classes?

Posted by jmls on 23-Jun-2008 08:17

the temp-table is only defined in the one place (class A). the PROTECTED part is meant to allow each class (B and C) to access the temp-table as if it were defined in the class. For example:

Class C :

DEF PROTECTED TEMP-TABLE TTFoo NO-UNDO

FIELD Baa AS CHAR.

END CLASS.

Class B INHERITS C:

METHOD PUBLIC VOID M():

FOR EACH TTFoo NO-LOCK:

END.

END METHOD.

END CLASS.

Class A INHERITS B:

METHOD PUBLIC VOID Q():

FOR EACH TTFoo NO-LOCK:

END.

END METHOD.

END CLASS.

Posted by sarahm on 23-Jun-2008 11:02

Julian, I'm confused...you are trying to instantiate class C? The super class? Do I understand correctly...class C doesn't inherit from anything?

Posted by jmls on 23-Jun-2008 12:19

the reality, of course, is that things are more complicated than the example.

Class C is a class that is responsible for extracting and manipulating data from a certain table

Class B is a class that is responsible for a generic client interface

Class A is a class that is responsible for a specific client interface

So, A inherits B, and B inherits C

this allowed me to access the temp-table from class A, even though it is defined in class C.

this worked well for most of the time. However, if I modified class A (added some extra code to a method, for example) then I sometimes got the error message described when i tried to instatiate class A

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 23-Jun-2008 12:29

Posted by sarahm on 23-Jun-2008 13:22

Ah, so you are trying to instantiate the most derived subclass. That makes more sense. Of course the simple case does not reproduce the problem but if you are able to narrow down a case that sometimes reproduces in some circumstances please open a call with tech support. It is certainly something we should take a look at.

Also, you mentioned that you recompiled all the classes. I suppose if it was an automated compile it's possible that you compiled the most derived class (which compiles all of its super classes) and then some time after that compiled just the super class. Of course that *shouldn't* cause a failure if nothing has changed, but it might be contributing to the problem.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 23-Jun-2008 13:39

I've had past instances with the 4GL client where it didn't recognize date/time stamps on a file and failed to pick up a recent change. Julian may be running into a similar issue here.

Posted by svi on 23-Jun-2008 15:21

Tim,

If you have a reproducible case it sounds like a bug, please log it with Tech Support when you can.

Thanks,

Salvador

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 23-Jun-2008 15:27

Posted by jmls on 24-Jun-2008 03:20

Ah, so you are trying to instantiate the most

derived subclass. That makes more sense. Of course

the simple case does not reproduce the problem but if

you are able to narrow down a case that sometimes

reproduces in some circumstances please open a call

with tech support. It is certainly something we

should take a look at.

Also, you mentioned that

you recompiled all the classes. I suppose if it was

an automated compile it's possible that you compiled

the most derived class (which compiles all of its

super classes) and then some time after that compiled

just the super class. Of course that shouldn't

cause a failure if nothing has changed, but it might

be contributing to the problem.

yeah, it's the problem of trying to reproduce it that's causing the grief Don't worry, if I can, I will report it ...

Posted by jmls on 24-Jun-2008 03:23

So, in the first post it sounded like A was the

top superclass, but in the last two posts it appears

that C is the top superclass?

Mea culpa, got it the wrong way round in the original post.

>Whichever, I'm

not sure that we have enough information to be

helpful. Is the pattern repeatable? E.g., can you

make a specific change, cause the problem, reverse

the change, and the problem goes away?

No, I have found that the only solution was to change the order of one of the fields in class C and recompile class C. Simply recompiling Class C did not work

>Can you

document what changes cause the problem and which

don't?

Nope. I only need to make a change in Class A and (sometimes) the problem rears it's ugly head. No rhyme or reason.

>Does it make any difference if you get out of

OEA and go back in?

This is not an OEA specific issue. This also happens in a run-time client

This thread is closed