Distribuite computing: comment this pictures?!

Posted by Admin on 22-Jul-2008 03:05

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1253/immaginedu7.png

Lead back to the my case i've a browser as client and in the server i've Redhat + Webspeed/OE.

My client's data go to server with the hidden field of a form or as parameter in the URL get string?

A TT return? Sure? A TT to a browser? ... mmm ...

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 22-Jul-2008 03:11

I'm not sure if I understand your - if there's any.

A Web Browser can't receive a temp-table directly. That's right. The temp-table will either be used (on the server) to generate a html table or similar to display or it might be returned in a form of xml for dhtml/ajax style realization.

Posted by Admin on 22-Jul-2008 03:44

Ok for the rest, lead again on the mode with my data go to the server, the travel from a browser to the server is in the URL (GET) or with POST in HTML datagram or both?!

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 22-Jul-2008 10:59

We don't really have enough information to answer the question, I don't think. If you are using a browser client, then you can't send it ABL-specific components like temp-tables and ProDataSets. But, you can convert them to XML and send that. But, whether or not the browser can do anything useful with the data will depend on what you have done with the code in the browser. To comment more on mechanisms, you will need to tell us more about what you have set up at the browser end.

FWIW, the term "distributed computing" is not usually used for architectures which merely involve some code in the client and some code on the server. When you get to the point of having multiple servers working together to provide the overall server-side function, that's when one starts to talk about distributed computing.

Posted by Admin on 23-Jul-2008 02:38

We don't really have enough information to answer the question, I don't think. If you are using a browser client, then you can't send it ABL-specific components like temp-tables and ProDataSets. But, you can convert them to XML and send that. But, whether or not the browser can do anything useful with the data will depend on what you have done with the code in the browser. To comment more on mechanisms, you will need to tell us more about what you have set up at the browser end.

For this i working on.

FWIW, the term "distributed computing" is not usually used for architectures which merely involve some code in the client and some code on the server. When you get to the point of having multiple servers working together to provide the overall server-side function, that's when one starts to talk about distributed computing.

The pictures that i show in my post are usualy from the Progress course PowerPoinT (PPT).

Posted by Admin on 23-Jul-2008 03:56

But that picture in your first post is titled "Passing temp-tables". I don't think that they meant this to happen to a web browser. temp-tables can be passed between AppServer and ABL client (or AppServer), .NET Clients, Java Clients and Sonic ESB.

Not to a browser. As said before, you need to go with an AJAX style framework to make that happen and the XML serialization (READ-XML and WRITE-XML) will become your friend.

By the way: Peter van Dam has written a great book about "Making Progress with AJAX". I gave this book to one of my developers and he's making Progress with it.

Posted by Admin on 23-Jul-2008 06:12

But that picture in your first post is titled "Passing temp-tables".

I don't mod the picture with Paint is a slide of the PPT in my Progress's CD. I hope that is the last CD of this kind existing because pseudo explanations are too ambiguous.

I don't think that they meant this to happen to a web browser.

Of curse not, but i made suppositions of how the data flow.

temp-tables can be passed between AppServer and ABL client (or AppServer), .NET Clients, Java Clients and Sonic ESB.

Good.

Posted by Admin on 29-Jul-2008 04:12

ISBN of "Making Progress with AJAX"?!

Posted by rbf on 29-Jul-2008 06:17

The ISBN is 987-90-813079-1-8 but that won't help you much as it is not available in the shops.

For the moment you can order it by mailing me your credit card details. The price is EUR 60 plus shipping. Shipping cost is EUR 6 in Europe and EUR 9 to the rest of the world.

My email address is peter@rainbowfocus.nl

Posted by Admin on 29-Jul-2008 07:56

TNX, this explains because googlando i did not find it.

I would have all the attempts to buy it, but i don't have a credit card, i will see how to do.

For now depent by my chiefs, i'm a newbie in Progress universe.

This thread is closed