Ultimate Newbie Guide?

Posted by Admin on 17-Apr-2009 11:42

I have gone through all of the "tours" Videos and .pdf's.

I am still reading the handbook, I am just wondering if there is a great resource for the new guys.(like day one stuff, basic terminology)

I have OpenEdge Architect 10.1C. In the Tour for this version there are many discrepencies, for example they show you how to do things, but it does not explain what is happening, and why it is happening. To be more specific, I have done the "Tryit, Tools for business logic" about eight times now, and never once has it worked.

I see one video where he instructs you to change the table names to ttTableName, and in another video, he instructs you to remove the "e" from the prefix.

So which is it? or is it both.

I have followed step by step all the way through each time, and in the end, mine never actually works.The video just says "Run wAutoEdgeMaint.w"

and viola, it works like a charm, but not for me. It just says

"Run wAutoEdgeMaint.w" and then I watch a progress bar move and move, with no action.

I know this part(business logic) has nothing to do with the overall purpose of OpenEdge, and Progress programming in general. It's just very aggrivating for me, the new guy. Perhaps something has changed since that video was made.

I had made the decision to move on. So for future newbies, it doesnt work.

If I run Debug, I get error line 32 of wAutoEdgeMaint.w  "CREATE WIDGET-POOL."

Any Ideas?

Thank you for your time.

All Replies

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 17-Apr-2009 11:52

It's unfortuante that you ran into PSC's "documentation" as your first experience. If you're looking for some real help,the "ultimate" place to go is the Progress Email Group (www.peg.com). You'll find lots of helpful people who've been doing this for years and can point you where you need to go and how to get there.    

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 17-Apr-2009 11:58

PEG is the most active community.  PSDN, i.e., here (don't know if we have a name change to Progress Communities?) is good, but with a different slant.  In particular, it is good for reporting things like documenation issues or for having a conversation with the developer responsible for the tool.  Another resource you will probably want to know about his OpenEdge Hive, http://www.oehive.org . OE Hive is good for code samples, whitepapers, tools, and such.

Posted by Admin on 17-Apr-2009 13:03

Very nice, Thank you for the extra resources, I have a lot of reading ahead of me.
"The harder something becomes, the more rewarding it is in the end."

Posted by rbf on 17-Apr-2009 13:17

Hi Joshua,

Overall I would say the OpenEdge documentation is very very good.

Unfortunately you have run into Tools for Business Logic which I think is an exception as

it has never been finished and I don't think you should take that tool serious.

Move on to other topics, you will find most other stuff much more rewarding.

Let go of Tools for Business Logic.

-peter

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 17-Apr-2009 13:25

On first read I missed the fact that the issue was with T4BL or I would have added my own raspberry.  It is a very limited tool of questionable utility and I think it is somewhat unfortunate that it was released at all in its present form, at least without a firm committment to round it out in a meaningful way.  At this point I think the right solution is dynamite and start over.

Posted by Admin on 17-Apr-2009 15:08

Like I mentioned, it is not crucial to what we do here. So, I skipped over it, I was just getting frustrated with myself after I tried and tried again.It is very nice component, I think for me being new to the wonderful world of progress, It took me off track. I do like what it is about, but I think I would be better off learning with just the procedure editor for now, and when I hone in my skills, I can take another swing at all that Architect has to offer.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 17-Apr-2009 15:47

If you have OEA, I wouldn't bother with the Procedure Editor ... it is like trying to learn to row a boat with one hand tied behind your back.  Use OEA, just avoid T4BL.  In fact, just start with the basics and expand out from there as you get more comfortable ... but still don't bother with T4BL.

Posted by Matt Baker on 23-Apr-2009 08:35

Are you coming from previous OO exprerience or are you coming from more procedure based experience?

If you have OEA for 10.2a(01) then play with visual designer.  From there learn about data binding and and datasets and a little record access from the OpenEdge database and hooking them into a form.  You can do a lot of this graphically.

If you prefer procedural stuff, then you can use AppBuilder to build windows and learn about data binding with SDO procedures.

Posted by Admin on 23-Apr-2009 12:37

Coming from PHP web applications, so I'm not completely a newbie, just new to the Progress side of things.,

I was told to start out with the Architect, which was very user friendly. Unfortunately, it was just the trial. So, now I am in 9.1E. (That's what everyone here uses)

but in the near future we will be upgrading.

I have been using app builder to view some other projects, and to figure out how things work. So far so good, I am moving right along.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 23-Apr-2009 13:00

They gave you a taste the good stuff and then sent you back to the old primitive stuff, eh?

Posted by Admin on 23-Apr-2009 15:59

Yea, well I guess they wanted to show me how easy it could be.

I'm sure we will all get licensing for the newer versions.I guess since I am the new guy, I get an old license on an old machine. Surely once I prove I am worthy, I will get the upgrade.

Posted by jwillis on 01-May-2009 10:15

Hi Josh,

I think your problem is with the Tour Tryits.  They were never tested or intended to be used with OpenEdge Architect 10.1C.  The last certified version for that material was 10.1B.  We are in the process of determining if the material was wrongly distributed or labeled.  My apologies for any incovenience.

I would recommend downloading the new 10.2A evaluation version and the associated Tutorial (which is a newer version of the Tryit material).  This material also includes coverage of the new Visual Designer and GUI for .NET functionality.  The Tutorial can give you a quick start in learning to using the Architect product and includes some basic ABL programming examples.

This thread is closed