Mapping PDS columns to .NET columns.

Posted by ericg on 10-Jun-2009 13:16

Hi there. This is a Progress AppServer 10.1C and .NET client environment.

The .NET developer is asking the following:

Is there anyway you can specify a column to be an image column when you pass it to the front end? In .NET the dataGridView creates a column based on the data coming in… Example when you pass a Boolean .NET creates a CheckBox column, if you pass a string it creates a textboxColumn…

In other words, can I specify the intended column type (for the consuming .NET binded grid) in the ProDataSet?

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 10-Jun-2009 13:21

externalresearch schrieb:

In other words, can I specify the intended column type (for the consuming .NET binded grid) in the ProDataSet?

Not like that - and I think that's good. There are millions of different grids all with different attributes specifying the visualization of columns - so how cold the back-end define which visualization should be used on the front-end?

The best you can do is use a BLOB field in a temp-table (a Byte[] in .NET). Some girds will display that automatically as an image, others require a certain attribute on the column.

Which Grid control are you planning to use?

Posted by ericg on 10-Jun-2009 13:43

Hi Mike. Several different grid controls (checkbox, textbox, etc) would be desired to specify against columns in the ProDataSet temp-table. So this cannot be done?

Posted by Admin on 10-Jun-2009 13:47

I guess the best place to define the visualization rules based on OpenEdge data types would be on the frontend, so as close to the grid as possible.

Is there anything the prevents writing code on the frontend that implements such a rule? Which Grid are you using (Microsoft, Infragistics, Component One, ...)?

This thread is closed