Detect function / non-void methods in stack track

Posted by Admin on 22-Jul-2009 16:02

Is there a safe way to detect functions or non-void method in the current stack?

I need a secure way to know if I can run a WAIT-FOR statement or not. In the past, some people had the strategy to loop thru PROGRAM-NAME (), but with classes that won't work: The same method name might return void and something else (thus being considered a function).

I need a way to get around the infamous "Input blocking statement is invalid while executing a user-defined function or method (2780)."

Even with structured error handling, I see no way of handling this message. Is that a bug or a feature?

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 22-Jul-2009 16:11

but with classes that won't work: The same method name might return void and something else (thus being considered a function).

You can't overload methods by return type, so that's moot. Or am I missing something (again )?

-- peter

Posted by Admin on 22-Jul-2009 16:17

pjudge schrieb:

but with classes that won't work: The same method name might return void and something else (thus being considered a function).

You can't overload methods by return type, so that's moot. Or am I missing something (again )?

-- peter

How about changing the return type + the parameters:

CLASS test   :

METHOD PUBLIC VOID foo ().

END METHOD.

METHOD PUBLIC LOGICAL foo (p1 AS CHAR):

END METHOD .

END CLASS.

This class compiles (at least in 10.2A01).

Posted by Peter Judge on 22-Jul-2009 16:27

How about changing the return type + the parameters:

CLASS test   :

METHOD PUBLIC VOID foo ().

END METHOD.

METHOD PUBLIC LOGICAL foo (p1 AS CHAR):

END METHOD .

END CLASS.

This class compiles (at least in 10.2A01).

Interesting.

The Getting Started with OO doc, on page 3-14, doesn't mention changing the return type as part of its overloading criteria: it does mention # of params, and param types.

-- peter

Posted by Admin on 22-Jul-2009 16:33

Interesting.

The Getting Started with OO doc, on page 3-14, doesn't mention changing the return type as part of its overloading criteria: it does mention # of params, and param types.

-- peter

I feel sorry if I got you reading the docs...

I did change the number and types or parameters - and yes, that's a requirement. You can't change the return type on it's own.

I believe in that case the runtime wouldn't know what to execute for

foo() .

(if there would be a VOID and an INTEGER return type version of foo, all with no parameters).

Note: I di not use the method in an assignment be purpose.

This thread is closed