Webclient deployment

Posted by jmls on 23-Sep-2009 12:30

If I have a very small application (3 or 4 .net forms) that does not need a database, am I right in thinking that I can deploy it as a webclient application for free ?

If I need a database, am I restricted at all from using .net ado/adb to read from access or something similar ?

(The application is simply to write out a spreadsheet from data provided through the UI)

Julian

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 23-Sep-2009 12:54

Someone else will have to speak authoritatively, but my memory was the need for an AppServer connection.

Regardless of what is technically possible, it is likely that deploying WebClient without an AppServer connection would be in violation of license ... at least in intent, whether or not it is written down somewhere.

Posted by jmls on 23-Sep-2009 13:11

If that's true, what a bummer.

Looks like I'll have to use c# instead. What a pity - if this worked out for the end-user then there may be a possibility that it will get adopted across the branch of the armed forces that my brother works for. Hey ho. Another victory for Microsoft.

Posted by Admin on 23-Sep-2009 13:23

What a pity - if this worked out for the end-user then there may be a possibility

that it will get adopted across the branch of the armed forces that my brother works for.

I'd discuss that with a PSC sales-rep directly.

But be prepared for the question for the business case: What might be in PSC's interest if your application would be used at the armed forces? I mean in the end it will probably only be interesting for PSC it there's some more in for them.

Another victory for Microsoft.

What DB are you trying to access? I'm assume that MS already earned on that - for OS or DB server licenses.

(probably not as much as PSC would earn for their DB).

Posted by jmls on 23-Sep-2009 13:33

I'd discuss that with a PSC sales-rep directly.

But be prepared for the question for the business case: What might be in PSC's interest if your application would be used at the armed forces? I mean in the end it will probably only be interesting for PSC it there's some more in for them.

There's no business case yet. Just a bit of software that I *hope* will become indispensable once it starts getting used. When they "need" it, I can then put forward a business case

What DB are you trying to access? I'm assume that MS already earned on that - for OS or DB server licenses.

(probably not as much as PSC would earn for their DB).

There's no db requirements at the moment. As a single-user app I can read/write to xml files for the datasets.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 23-Sep-2009 13:35

Well, testing whether it is technically possible should be easy enough.  Create a small program and fire it up and see if there is any complaint.

Then, if there isn't some technical obstacle, talk to your rep.  That which is not licensed generally can sometimes be licensed for a special purpose.

However, if you were hoping to pass it out for free, you are going to have a difficult time getting the rep interested in the proposition.

Posted by jmls on 23-Sep-2009 13:40

The testing is the easy part

I was only going to pass out the first installation for free. For wider deployment there will have to be a licence ...

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 23-Sep-2009 13:49

OK, then I would do some simple testing first.  That should tell you pretty quickly whether there is a technical limitation.  If there is, you are out of luck and if there isn't, then you can proceed to the next phase.

Phase 2 would be to whip up enough of a prototype that you have something to show.  You might, encounter other technical issues here, but probably not.

Phase 3 is to show off, not deploy, what you have done to the prospect.  From that you need to determine whether they are even interested and, if so, the magnitude of the potential deployment and some idea of what they can live with in terms of price.

Phase 4 is to go to PSC.  You could start sounding them out between Phase 2 and 3 just to make them feel good about being kept in the loop, but you don't need to say much at that point beyond that you think you might have an opportunity, that it would be WebClient only, that the deployment would be large, and that if the proof of concept works, you will be back to discuss a special license.  To get a special license, you will need your business case.  Expect it to be based on percent of sales.

Someplace in here you should also check any possible license data you can find to see what vocabulary you can find related to WebClient deployment, i.e., whether or not there actually is legal language forbidding what you are wanting to do.  If there is, that shouldn't stop you since special licenses are possible.  But, if there isn't, it strengthens your bargaining position.  But, I wouldn't deploy it without permission since I am pretty sure they will interpret it as a violation, one way or another.

This thread is closed